Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been 8 years since this K-Line scale AT&SF Berk hit the rails. This was the super scale version that K-Line offered right before they went into bankruptcy. The detail is fantastic and probably equals any Berk that is manufactured in todays world. It came with TMCC and the latest version of RS at that time. I bought both the Berk and the scale Mikado from the offshore distributor that was holding the product since K-Line had not paid for them due to the bankruptcy filing. I paid $300 each for the 2 scale steamers, heck of a deal back then.

Bill

P5080012.JPG

P5080014.JPG

P5090022.JPG

P5090023.JPG

P5090025.JPG

P5090026.JPG

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Beautiful loco Bill. I've got the Lima Loco Works #1. Wonder if that's what they call super scale? I know they're darn nice. Miss K-line.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I miss K-Line. They also did one for Southern Pacific. SP did acquire some as well but quickly converted them to oil and used a whaleback tender with them. Had K-Line done one of those I would have bought one. I have one in HO and 3rd Rail also did one with a whaleback tender but I have resisted duplicating my HO SP collection in O scale.
One of my favorite SP engines for its detail but I suspect true SP fans are not fond of them as they are pretty homely and would never be mistaken for western steam.

Pete

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
that is a lovely model loco. Sort of K-lines Vision line. I love that detail!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
That Santa Fe Berk is a massive looking engine. I love the Coffin feed water heater. It makes it look very mechanical And intricate.

I have a number of K-Line locomotives ranging from an 0-6-0 to the scale Hudson and the IC Berkshire. Great products...

Tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
At the end K-line was making some fantastic stuff. Their steam engines and heavyweight passenger cars are still some of the best available.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
The Berkshire's are great looking engines, especially for their time. They were good enough that Lionel produced them a number of years back equipped with Legacy (and a much higher price tag).

·
Admin
44,020 Posts
One failing of a number of the K-Line locomotives that Lionel carried into the Legacy versions is the front facing motor. The gear ratio is great, but it's very fragile, I've already replaced a few drive blocks, I have a couple in my parts boxes that I figure to someday try to repair the internal gear.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The B&A style Berkshire is the one engine that Lionel put a bigger motor in located in the firebox but you are right, all the others that Lionel redid had the small forward facing motor.

Pete

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
One failing of a number of the K-Line locomotives that Lionel carried into the Legacy versions is the front facing motor. The gear ratio is great, but it's very fragile, I've already replaced a few drive blocks, I have a couple in my parts boxes that I figure to someday try to repair the internal gear.
Sorry for momentarily highjacking this thread....
I believe my Legacy USRA Mikado (PN 6-11257) is one of those K-Line based locomotives (another great looking and running engine). Is there a part number for the drive block that you've had to replace? I looked at the parts breakdown but it didn't stick out to me there. Mine is a big favorite and has a lot of runtime on it and I should probably have some parts in reserve for the if/when it does fail scenario.

·
Registered
872 Posts
K Line aluminum passenger cars are great. Though mostly generic, they’re quality pieces. I’m a big fan and have 2 railed a LOT of these, all UP.

The scale items they produced are great starting points for modifications.

Here’s my Mike, weathered, a different tender and some other changes. It has KD coupler and scale NWSL pilot wheels now, not pictured here. When I my lathe arrives, I’ll make a big stack for it.

3154EB8A-623D-4C57-87F7-3EF412ABB447.jpeg
CA97BE95-67AF-4134-BC00-CC4F949D8E6E.jpeg
15B92E29-88DD-430A-BB53-AF29E6206073.jpeg

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
When K-line did their scale Mikes they tried to make them road specific. Those number boards on the UP engine were absent on Lionel's first Legacy run. They just made one version for all the roads they did. Pretty much the same when they made the heavy Mikado.
As it turns out this was good for me as I have an early Legacy UP which will get relettered for NYC. I guess its easier to add number boards than remove them.

Pete

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have a Lionel 2-8-0 based on a Harriman engine. They all came with number boards even my NYC version. Its on my to do list to remove them but will require repainting the whole smokebox, no doubt. It doesn't really match any NYC Consolidations but small engines are hard to come by.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
That has very nice detail. What is the half circle device attached to the front of the boiler? Is that for steam heat for the coaches?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Its a feedwater heater. Increases efficiency by using exhaust steam to pre heat the water before it goes into the boiler.

Pete

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
What is the half circle device attached to the front of the boiler? Is that for steam heat for the coaches?
It's a type of feed-water heater (which type I can't recall). More modern locomotives had feed water heaters which used exhaust steam from the cylinders to preheat the water before it was added to the boiler. Boiler pressure and temperature are directly related. If you add a bunch of relatively cool water to the boiler directly from the tender then you'll lose pressure, which obviously isn't a good thing for boiler health or efficiency.

Edit: looks like Pete got his reply typed before I did 😁

1 - 20 of 26 Posts