Model Train Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Its a Coffin feedwater heater. I think Coffin refers to the manufacturer not the shape.

Pete
I wanted to say Coffin but I couldn't quite remember if that was the correct brand.

And yes you're correct about Coffin being the brand. The two other big ones were Elesco and Worthington which I think were more prevalent than the coffin types.

·
Admin
43,510 Posts
Sorry for momentarily highjacking this thread....
I believe my Legacy USRA Mikado (PN 6-11257) is one of those K-Line based locomotives (another great looking and running engine). Is there a part number for the drive block that you've had to replace? I looked at the parts breakdown but it didn't stick out to me there. Mine is a big favorite and has a lot of runtime on it and I should probably have some parts in reserve for the if/when it does fail scenario.
Looks like you're too late. They don't have any of those.

For whatever reason, I've encountered a number of the K-4 models with the problem, and they still have those frames.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Looks like you're too late. They don't have any of those.

View attachment 542384

For whatever reason, I've encountered a number of the K-4 models with the problem, and they still have those frames.
View attachment 542385
Thanks for the info. I couldn't remember if that was one of the locomotives with a separate gear tower vs. direct worm drive to the axle. $140 is a bit steep for a spare part anyway, especially considering what I paid for the locomotive.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts