Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled this guy out of mothballs yesterday, A Lionel Northern Pacific Postwar Celebration GP-9. It is many years old and has not been out of its box for runtime for 5 years. The Geep has early TMCC and RS, no cruise control. It is a good runner but with a Pulmore motor and no cruise control its speed varies around the layout. On the box label, Lionel calls this a GP-9 but it's Postwar cousin was called a GP-7.

Bill

P4210018.JPG

P4210020.JPG

P4210024.JPG

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
On the box label, Lionel calls this a GP-9 but it's Postwar cousin was called a GP-7.
Bill
A nice looking NP loco.

This statement made me re-read the Geep chapter of my McComas & Tuohy. Dynamic brakes were an option on real GP-7s and GP-9s. But Lionel called their models GP-9s if they had a dynamic brake blister or GP-7s if they did not. The Postwar 2349 (1959-1960) was called a GP-9.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Great looking paint scheme. I am still shopping for one!

About the lack of cruise control. You mention the engine slows at various points on your layout. If you add power as the engine hits one of those spots, will it continue at roughly the same speed?

I figure the constant manipulation of the throttle can keep you busy if you need to constantly need to throttle up and down as the engine proceeds.

Tom

·
Registered
481 Posts
I thought that the Livery on your NP 2349 looked very familiar. I have a Lionel NP 8666 Conventional run only with the same Livery scheme. Engine runs great for a conventional mode only machine.
Lionel Northern Pacific GP-9 #6-8666    3.jpg

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Dynamic brakes were an option on real GP-7s and GP-9s. But Lionel called their models GP-9s if they had a dynamic brake blister or GP-7s if they did not. The Postwar 2349 (1959-1960) was called a GP-9.
This statement is correct in regards to Lionel's way of distinguishing their GP7 vs GP9. The distinguishing details on the shell of Lionel's rendition make it a GP7 regardless of what they called it with or without dynamic brakes. Overall they were pretty identical. The main distinguishing feature between GP7s and early GP9s were the arrangement of louvers on the hood doors as can be seen in the drawings linked below.

GP7

GP9

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great looking paint scheme. I am still shopping for one!

About the lack of cruise control. You mention the engine slows at various points on your layout. If you add power as the engine hits one of those spots, will it continue at roughly the same speed?

I figure the constant manipulation of the throttle can keep you busy if you need to constantly need to throttle up and down as the engine proceeds.

Tom
Hi Tom, I have about a 6 foot section of track between 2 switches that I get a drop in power. I am guessing about 5 volts. Locos with command control, no problem, but conventional or TMCC locos without command control do slow down through this section. I have a power feed to the section but does not seem to eliminate the power reduction. Someday when I get ambitious I will pull the track and mess around with it.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts