Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been 4 years since this guy saw daylight. The Northern Pacific RS-11 had all the goodies when manufactured by Lionel many years ago. It has TMCC, latest RS, smoke, speed control, engineer figures, a powerful runner.

But, and a big but it is, Lionel really screwed up the paint scheme on this diesel. instead of the gold the Lionel paint team liked a bright yellow for what ever reason. Does not match any other NP freight diesels that had been produced by any manufacture. I have the RS-11 meeting up with a Lionel GP-9 that produced a couple years earlier, big difference.

Bill

P4230003.JPG

P4230004.JPG

P4230001.JPG

P4230002.JPG

P4230006.JPG

·
Registered
85 Posts
The yellow this model was painted in, is more correct that any gold color! To be closer to what Northern Pacific used the color needs a pinch of red in it. Have you looked at real Northern Pacific locomotives? Look at the NPRHA's website and in particular color photos of Joe Caron.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The yellow this model was painted in, is more correct that any gold color! To be closer to what Northern Pacific used the color needs a pinch of red in it. Have you looked at real Northern Pacific locomotives? Look at the NPRHA's website and in particular color photos of Joe Caron.
I can't copy the color samples only the wording but looking at the color sample it certainly is not close to the bright yellow on the Alco RS-11.

Per the Northern Pacific color code.

" Imitation Gold ÌÎÌÌÎÌÎÌÌÎÌÕÌÎÌÌÎÌÎå«Ì´å This color was applied to NP Freight diesel locomotives, and also used for the stripe on "1947 Streamline" passenger cars. The paint used on this color card is DuPont Industrial Imron 3.5 HG. "

I saw a lot of NP Geeps in the 50's and 60's as I lived next to the NP line between Kirkland and Renton along Lake Washington. Don't remember ever seeing the RS-11, maybe it was painted bright yellow and not NP's imitation gold. But if you say that imitation gold is the bright yellow I am ok with it. I have numerous NP Geeps from most manufactures and they are not yellow all gold.

Bill

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. Although the color may have been called "Imitation Gold", it was not the gold color I see on some of your other Lionel Locomotives,like 2349 in your first photo. I saw plenty of N.P. locomotives too, living here in Minnesota. I would probably call it sort of an "orangish yellow", leaning more towards yellow. I feel the HO manufacturers have reproduced the color very well. In the end, your Northern Pacific colors can certainly be whatever color you think is right, just like I can do the same with my N.P. locos!

·
Registered
388 Posts
What is the weight and quality of that rs11? My lionel rs3 is junkie but bluetooth and my williams gp9 is a tank, decent but old school. I would like to get a quality built rs11 and f3 for my collection.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
MTH has 9 RS-11s in the 2019V1 catalog. They came out last June so there are probably a few still around. I like my Lehigh Valley RS-11 from that production run. They also have 12 listed in the 2020V1 catalog that were supposed to be out in February. Two of those have same nice looking NP paint scheme as Bill’s.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Lionel RS-11 came out many years ago before Lionel Legacy. If done today by Lionel with all of its features, it most likely would be a $500 legacy diesel by today standards. It is very heavy, dual motors, all the top end features.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts