Model Train Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I spray cleaner on and spread it with a paper towel, then use either an old T-shirt or a microfiber cloth to polish the residual cleaner away. Like I said, a lot of people don't know how to clean glass.
This is essential on 3d printers as well. I do the exact thing to prevent scratches on the build surface, especially on resin printers. It's important not to damage the FEP sheet with paper towels. Good tip CTValleyRR.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK, let's play nice so I don't have to close this thread.
It's quite disappointing that my simple thread on the question of which paints are best, turned into such a debate on cons of windshield washer fluid and glass cleaner. This is generally not how a newcomer wants to experience their beginning of a hobby.

I appreciate your concern for trying to keep this forum a nice place. I admire what you do, it must be a hard job. Thank you and until next time.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
My two cents on paints. Vallejo and mission models paints have done a nice job in the airbrush. On the Vallejo air I have found some needed a bit more reducer to work as I like but that could be my airbrush or my mastery of said brush or lack there of ;) The regular Vallejo paints for brush use have done an excellent job for me as well and can be thinned for airbrush as needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My two cents on paints. Vallejo and mission models paints have done a nice job in the airbrush. On the Vallejo air I have found some needed a bit more reducer to work as I like but that could be my airbrush or my mastery of said brush or lack there of ;) The regular Vallejo paints for brush use have done an excellent job for me as well and can be thinned for airbrush as needed.
Thanks, Raege! I think I'm going to pick up some of those Vallejo paints. Amazon.com has them for a nice price and they come with a variety of railroad related colors. Free & fast shipping is always a bonus as well!

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I still have a good supply of Floquil paint so that is mostly what I use, but lately I have been trying out Tamiya, I have only used their thinner with them, I love the Tamiya panel line accents, have not ventured into Vallejo yet, but will likely give them a try, getting them off Amazon is nice too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I still have a good supply of Floquil paint so that is mostly what I use, but lately I have been trying out Tamiya, I have only used their thinner with them, I love the Tamiya panel line accents, have not ventured into Vallejo yet, but will likely give them a try, getting them off Amazon is nice too
Tamiya panel line is nice stuff. It flows into all the cracks and crevices. I've seen a few videos where paint is thinned with water, and it does just as good. However, I prefer to just buy the stuff. Less work for me. Hope your "Vallejo Venture" goes well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tough question, the paints I like and had great results with are no longer made. Polyscale was great along with Model Master. During the pandemic I was able to find the two to paint a grain train. Over the last year I've tried Microlux and Vallejo in weathering applications but not a full car paint job.
Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Font Office equipment
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wood Gas Rectangle Engineering Composite material
Musical instrument Wood Hood Folk instrument Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Tough question, the paints I like and had great results with are no longer made. Polyscale was great along with Model Master. During the pandemic I was able to find the two to paint a grain train. Over the last year I've tried Microlux and Vallejo in weathering applications but not a full car paint job. View attachment 593354 View attachment 593355 View attachment 593356 View attachment 593359
Thanks for the comment. I have never heard of microlux, should probably try them. Nice weathering job on those cars by the way. I also see a GEVO back there.

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
Vallejo will work fine for a full car paint job.

For help with matching colors, I suggest you download the free publication on painting with acrylics from Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine. (www.model-railroad-hobbyist.com; pub is found under "Goodies".

Reactions: CambriaArea51

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use Tamiya with their thinner for easy no fuss no muss paint and clean up.

If I need specific colors, I use Tru Color paint with their thinner. The downside is it is not water clean up.

I have nice models and want them to look nice. I'm not cheaping out by using window cleaner as thinner. I'll spend a few dollars and get the thinner made specifically for the paint I use.

I've tried and tried but my airbrush hates Vallejo paint. So I stopped trying and no longer use it. I feel the other two brands serve me well, so I use what works for me.

The freight car is Tamiya. The Engine is True Color. The passenger car is a mix of both.

Have fun and good luck with your project.
Ron
Train Plant Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock

Train Rolling stock Electricity Track Railway
Train Rolling stock Toy Railway Rolling

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

If I need specific colors, I use Tru Color paint with their thinner. The downside is it is not water clean up.

I have nice models and want them to look nice. I'm not cheaping out by using window cleaner as thinner. I'll spend a few dollars and get the thinner made specifically for the paint I use.

I've tried and tried but my airbrush hates Vallejo paint. So I stopped trying and no longer use it. I feel the other two brands serve me well, so I use what works for me.

The freight car is Tamiya. The Engine is True Color. The passenger car is a mix of both.

Ron View attachment 593450

View attachment 593451 View attachment 593452
Thanks, Ron! Those are some nice pieces you have there. Love the Chessie System switcher.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks, Ron! Those are some nice pieces you have there. Love the Chessie System switcher.
Thanks. I'd be lying if I said it was easy. That was a difficult project. It's also a project that was stripped and repainted three times. That is how I came to learn the benefit of good primer and proper thinner for the brand paint used.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Ron View attachment 593450

View attachment 593451 View attachment 593452
Wow that covered hopper brings back memories of the Zube Tubes at Kinnick Stadium. That musta been circa 19foreverago.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts