Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for viewing. New to the forum so hopefully added this to the right area of the forum since well I am new to certain aspects of painting models.

I got my hands on a RS-3 which has been put through the ringer and looking to add it to my collection. Who ever had this unit prior just didn't know what to do with paint and didn't treat the metal frame correctly. I am looking for some advise in treating a chassis and repainting it.

My general thought was to use a dremel with a wire brush and work the chassis till the paint was off, then get some rust-oleum painters touch black primer and repaint it.

What I would like to know is there something that works with stripping the paint without making the sanding mess and a better way to treat the metal so it doesn't rust in the future?

Thoughts, Idea's or best of all.. Facts from anyone.

Thank you all for your time,
Brad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@NIMT Actually it's HO scale.

@TJ Amazing. Nice work and thank you for the information. Yes the frame will be black I am going to repaint the RS-3 to Rio Grand colors with a patch of UP for my layout. I like to follow some of the real world ways but add a mix of custom to everything.

Also I noticed you mentioned Krylon... Can I get that at Lowes? How much better is it over Rust-Oleum? My dads been a painter all my life so I know what I know only from him so I am curious.

Thanks for the info,
Brad

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.