Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired some Modeltown figures from the UK. They are unpainted. I would like advise as to which paints to buy.

These are the figures shown painted;

quarymen.jpg

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
For MTH passenger figures (meant for O scale but actually S scale), I use acrylic latex paint that my wife got at a craft store. May need more than one coat, but it dries relatively quickly.

I have had problems using oil base paints (Floquil) for the MTH figures. The paint sometimes reacts with the plastic and NEVER dries. You end up with a sticky surface.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Lehigh74 said;
I have had problems using oil base paints (Floquil) for the MTH figures. The paint sometimes reacts with the plastic and NEVER dries. You end up with a sticky surface.
[/QUOTE]

Lehigh74;
Unless you were using different kind of Floquil paints,. they weren't "oil based." Standard Floquil Paints were Lacquer based. The lacquer would have attacked bare plastic. On figures it would have, well, disfigured them. Floquil also made a line of paints called "Polly S." Those were water based.
Traction Fan

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I recently acquired some Modeltown figures from the UK. They are unpainted. I would like advise as to which paints to buy.

These are the figures shown painted;

View attachment 547052
Madman;

I use Tamiya alcohol based acrylic model paint for figures, and most railroad painting in general. It goes on smoothly, covers well, dries quickly, and come in a wide variety of colors, including the flat colors you'll need for figures. The N-scale passengers waiting in the station were all painted with Tamiya paint. By hand, by me. Tedious, sometimes frustrating, but rewarding.

Traction Fan

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
N-scale figures? Tedious doesn't begin to cover it! :D
Especially with old eyes.....:LOL:.....There was a time when I could do such work with the naked eye.....;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts