Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I am VERY new. I'm having issues with painting my buildings. I've completed a grain elevator and that was no problem. All it required was a coat of white primer on the body and some brown paint on the roof to simulate rust. It came out pretty good if I do say so myself.:D

So now I'm working on an open-air transport building. It has a couple of ramps and platforms that need to look like dirty old concrete. I've primed it (white) and put no less than four coats of pale gray paint on the plastic. That appears to be enough for all except the largest section. That's probably going to need a fifth coat.

I'm using an acrylic water-based hobby paint. Not necessarily model paint. Am I using the wrong kind of paint? Am I doing something else wrong? Is this completely normal? Am I just not holding my mouth right?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I use airbrushes, model paint brushes, hobby brushes, sponges, eye shadow applicators, and rags to paint my models.

I use paint, stain, the better half's eye shadow, food coloring, ....what ever it takes to get the desired affect.

For dirt, I use REAL dirt, for trees I use weeds, for rocks REAL rocks..... I hope that you are getting the picture here. By using readily available, natural, no cost(that's the best part) materials, you can save a lot of cash to buy more trains!!!

Bob

·
Registered
215 Posts
almost any paint will work. I have found that acrylic craft paint. leaves something to be desired on plastic. I would suggest using Pollyscale if airbrushing also Testors model paint works well. Testors has a spray that works good for concrete, I believe it is called desert sand. Oh yeah Pollyscale is made by Testors. Check LHS (Local Hobby Shop) or on line at
http://www.testors.com/category/50736/Paints

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
almost any paint will work. I have found that acrylic craft paint. leaves something to be desired on plastic. I would suggest using Pollyscale if airbrushing also Testors model paint works well. Testors has a spray that works good for concrete, I believe it is called desert sand. Oh yeah Pollyscale is made by Testors. Check LHS (Local Hobby Shop) or on line at
http://www.testors.com/category/50736/Paints
That's precisely my issue. I got the acrylic hobby paint because I could get the colors I needed in flat. A lot of Testors paints I found are enamel and gloss. I'm really not after shiny concrete. Can I use enamel or gloss paints and knock the shine off with clear flat sealant?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't wait to actually start putting the stuff on the layout and creating landscaping. We've decided to pull a lot scenes from our lives (our house, my grandmother's mobile home with the lake where I used to swim....stuff like that).

Thanks for the great sugggestions!

Lisa

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you get the military paints they are flat.I assume you are using spray cans. If so that will really limit you In color choices. You could also try dull coat on the glossy paint. I use it a lot for many things such as over coat on decals to help hide the decal material.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I learned...

I am sad to report that I killed the building. I had tried so many things that I decided it would be best to start from scratch.

I'm viewing it as a learning experience. What did I learn? It's not a good idea to put paint remover on plastic buildings.:eek:

Never fear, I have reordered the building. I WILL WIN!:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
For dirt, I use REAL dirt, for trees I use weeds, for rocks REAL rocks..... I hope that you are getting the picture here. By using readily available, natural, no cost(that's the best part) materials, you can save a lot of cash to buy more trains!!!

Bob
i can see using the real dirt and rocks but how are you using weeds for trees without them drying up and wilting etc.etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, ok...I'll include a picture when I finish it. ;)

I just assumed no one would want to see the horrible mess I ended up with.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,750 Posts
No you misunderstood(or avoiding). I wanted to see the mistake. Your first try. :eek:hwell: You didn't throw it out did you?:eek:

Naturally we all would like to see the completed project.:D
I will let it be, if you want.
B&M showed his melted boxcar. That was good.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
i can see using the real dirt and rocks but how are you using weeds for trees without them drying up and wilting etc.etc.
Using parts of plants such as Baby's Breath, Statice, and similar woody/stemmy type weeds, I use them for the trunk and branches of the trees. I roll the "branches" in glue and then in "flocking". The results are amazing, and cheap.

I also use mosses for ground cover. Grind up dead leaves real fine and apply also for ground cover for harvested soy bean or wheat fields...... There are many things one can use in the hobby that don't cost a dime. One must just think outside of the box.

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Avoidance issues

It's true, T-man. I didn't want anyone to see my horrid, horrid mistake.:retard: I must admit to avoiding sharing. What's more, I have thrown it out. Sorry. :eek:

While I'm waiting for the replacement building to be delivered, I'm working on something else. I will post that immediately upon completion. When I'm done with the replacement building, I will post that too.

Be gentle. I'm very delicate.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BTW, thanks to all for the encouragement. I know now that I can screw up royally and not be overly embarrassed.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,750 Posts
I found the boxcar picture
Here

I am working on some HO cabooses now. I use brown and pumpkin acrylic.
Look here

Another suggestion is buy used and abused even parts like plasticville. Practice on those before spoiling an expensive model.
Enjoy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, that's a messed up train.

From now on, I swear to post all my mistakes and successes with PICTURES! :)

·
Yard Master & Research
10,750 Posts
My Try

Okay, I painted up a Ho building. I used sandstone for the top and red for the bottom. I rubbed some sandstone on the brick to give it dimension. Not firstclass but it works. I have my milk jug glass. This building will hide my auto reverse unit when it is done. All acrylic no thinner or stripper pure water base.:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts