Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lighting my HO layout with LED's. In several situations I would like to paint in one side of an LED to prevent the light from going there. For example, street lights. Is there a brand of paint I can use?
Also I would like a top on some of my street lights, this need me to glue a reflector to the light. Is there a glue that will hold the reflector on the LED?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would suggest black electrical tape with a little CA glue to block the light. If you go the paint route, you could try black nail polish. To add a reflector CA glue would be a good choice too.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I use black epoxy paint when I want to block out back bleed.
I think any paint will work because there in little to no heat produced by the LED, I just use the epoxy paint because it's very thick and one coat will block all the light.:D
I'm not a CA fan so 99% of the time when I work with LED's I use epoxy for the permanent installations and hot glue for the semi permanent installs.:cool:

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
If you want to help get a little more light out, use two layers of paint - white and black. First paint white - this reflects light as the first layer back into the LED, then paint the black on top of the white - this blocks what light gets through the white. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
railfanner,
If i might offer a little more advice on the LED side of things.
Warm white LED's offer a sodium (yellow) light.
Cool white LED's offer more of a florescent, halogen, mercury vapor (blue) light.
Putting a 3mm LED on it's side will give poor lighting but a SMD led will give great down light with minimal space requirements.
Material property Finger Magenta Capacitor Nail polish
The SMD LED's put out more of a dispersed light pattern too.
PM me if you need help getting the SMD LED's if you would like them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.