Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So over Christmas, I was cleaning my room, and I found my September 1950 "HO Monthly", and in it is the blueprint for a P&W Brill Bullet car. There were also some template jigs, and I put together this paper mock up of a Brill Bullet. Here are the pictures:

Floor Rectangle

Floor Flooring Automotive exterior Auto part Hardwood

Plastic Floor

Floor Flooring Hardwood Wood Paper

Vehicle

Would Shallacked Card Stock and/or Bristol Borard, would make for good construction? Also, what grade of card stock could be runned through a brother copier/printer? And would a Bachmann Brill power-truck be a good idea too?

Help? - :confused:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You could run some sort of see-through tracing paper thru the printer, and dry-transfer it to something thicker. Styrene, or similar? *paging shaygetz, or someone, anyone*

Then that would be a good base to mount a power truck, I think.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Code Traction Orange! Code Traction Orange!

Paging All the O'l Timers! Paging All the O'l Timer's! Advice is wanted.! Advice is wanted! - :eek:

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
You can run just about anything through a printer as long as it's not thicker than a normal piece of paper. I make decals with my printer and that paper is about as thick as the printer will take. You could always try some different types of paper to see what goes best but I doubt that any type of cardboard would go through. Drawing paper or craft paper will probably go through ok. Pete

·
Registered
441 Posts
Styrene is VERY printable for signshops, you might be able to find a sign shop with a flatbed printer who could print onto say .030 styrene. Your only issue might be getting a good scan resolution out of an old magazine. The magazines were rarely printed at high resolution.

Craig

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have made several copies, and it looks really clear in the original issue, atrubiting to the body here. Maybe Styrene is an option, but I'm keeping more old school materials on the table.

·
Premium Member
16,683 Posts
Another tip when working with card-stock models ...

Using a sharp single-edge razor blade, gently score the cardstock along where you want a bend, cutting only a fraction of the way through the thickness of the paper itself. That will create a natural, very crisp fold line.

Cut on the side that's the "outside" of the bend, not the inside.

TJ

·
Registered
441 Posts
Another thought, use the styrene and spray adhesive to glue down paper printed stencils. If you spray the back of the paper, a product like 3M 77 spray is formulated to stay on the original sprayed surface when removed.

With the stencil stuck on you can then use your good old Xacto to make the various cuts. Then peel the paper back off.

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.