Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals. I am very new to this hobby. I know little to nothing about it. Upon finding out my interest, my buddy who collects random things handed me a bag of parts that he knew nothing about. I found a couple of them were basic controllers by life like company. The other is what I am posting here about. It is an old looking engine. Still turns extremely smooth and looks to be in good shape. The wiring could definately be redone but looks in good shape otherwise. The only identification I can find is on the bottom it has the Lionel metal plate and says "O" Gauge. There is a cylinder near the top that looks to be made of cardboard or something that says "25" in larger numbers and I believe (hard to make out) it says "14" in smaller numbers to the right of the 25. Are there any other places to look for identifying markers? I will try to get a pic up tonight when I am home from work. Would love to know what this is as from my little bit of reading seems that Lionel O gauge stuff is fairly sought after. Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,643 Posts
Sorry no clue. Try a picture (after 10 postings). Or give us a link. If the numbers are worn some may be missing. It is a lot more fun with a picture but I understand you excitement in trying to find out. Engines are normally 3 or four digits and a 2514 isn't pone of them.
Engine type,color,cab number.
Show the parts box too!
If you enjoy used quality you can keep expenses down. It doesn't take much to fill a table.
Welcome to MTF.
Hopefully it's not American Flyer.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
There is a cylinder near the top that looks to be made of cardboard or something
T-Man ... he's got me on that one. Could he be talking about a name i.d. on the top/front of a prewar boiler?

Chris ... you've baited us with the mystery! Post some pics, and we'll certainly jump in to help you solve it!

Nice to have you onboard,

TJ

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is just the actual engine.. no body... I dont know the correct terms. Just the running parts and 4 metal wheels. The inside of the wheels are red. I will see what else I can find and try to get a pic. I understand I need ten posts first so. Will look around the forum and ask a few more questions. I am not interested in O size as I do not have the room but want to know what I have and what its worth in possibly trading/selling for some HO stuff. All of that is based on my minimal to 0 knowledge though. LOL. O may be fine for what I want to do. I need a beginners guide to model trains.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
It is just the actual engine.. no body... I dont know the correct terms. Just the running parts and 4 metal wheels. The inside of the wheels are red. I will see what else I can find and try to get a pic. I understand I need ten posts first so. Will look around the forum and ask a few more questions. I am not interested in O size as I do not have the room but want to know what I have and what its worth in possibly trading/selling for some HO stuff. All of that is based on my minimal to 0 knowledge though. LOL. O may be fine for what I want to do. I need a beginners guide to model trains.
Sounds like a pre war engine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
That would be awesome if it was. The spokes are red. What term should I search for to see actual pictures of just the working parts without the "body" on it?
Mine from the side looks very similar to this (the red wheels):
http://www.dakotapaul.com/pics/P1012354-01.jpg

And has a similar metal plate on the bottom of the parts like this (this is from the same page as above):
http://www.dakotapaul.com/pics/P1012360-01.jpg
I would search for prewar Lionel engines.
Hold on I will go and look.:D

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Correction not engines search motors (prewar)

Upg150HBFin.jpg

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Yeah... thast what we are talking about. Mine looks a little different to that in shape but the same wheels. Ok thanks for the search terms. I am still getting so ever close to the 10 posts LOL... and also to the 6pm when I get to go home!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Yeah Yeah... thast what we are talking about. Mine looks a little different to that in shape but the same wheels. Ok thanks for the search terms. I am still getting so ever close to the 10 posts LOL... and also to the 6pm when I get to go home!

That ten post thing sucks just keep answering this ten times and then post a picture some one will ,most likely know.:D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine looks VERY similar to this... but this is such a tiny pic.. GRRR but mine does have that black piece on the side as well. Think thats called a brush plate or something. Mine is this same general shape and has the same spoke wheels. I think mine is a little larger than this and has a "stack" on the front? Idk what it is. I am excited now that I am quite sure it is pre-war

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/pict/1304292614764040_1.jpg

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Mine looks VERY similar to this... but this is such a tiny pic.. GRRR but mine does have that black piece on the side as well. Think thats called a brush plate or something. Mine is this same general shape and has the same spoke wheels. I think mine is a little larger than this and has a "stack" on the front? Idk what it is. I am excited now that I am quite sure it is pre-war

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/pict/1304292614764040_1.jpg

I saw that too in e bay. I am not finding many pictures of prewar motors though.

A few more posts and you will have ten.:D

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Are the wheels REAL big or normal size.

If they are big it might be a standard gauge engine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc28b3127ccef8865a63dbdb00000030O02AbsWjhk0bMwe3nwg/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=550/ry=400/

This one isnt exactly the same but similar as well. Mine doesnt have black parts on than the gaurd. But this one has that stack thing on the front I am talking about. The cylinder inside that silver bracket (I dont know if thats the front or the rear, but whats closest to you in the picture) that "tube" inside of there is the part that has 25 in big numbers and 14 in small numbers on it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It has that cylinder thing in the front like on the above pic... only has 2 wheels per side.. has red spoke style wheels... it has an odd looking screw type thing poking out the front or back (kinda looks like the bottom of a lightbulb".. I am nearing ten and driving myself crazy on google.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
It has that cylinder thing in the front like on the above pic... only has 2 wheels per side.. has red spoke style wheels... it has an odd looking screw type thing poking out the front or back (kinda looks like the bottom of a lightbulb".. I am nearing ten and driving myself crazy on google.

The "stack thing" is the e unit. It is what reverses the motor.

Keep posting your all most there. Then take a few pictures and put them here. Some one will know.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Your at ten.:D:appl:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah but I am still at work! lol but I am 99% sure that the last ebay one I posted is exactly the same as mine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts