Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I didnt buy parts on ebay. Bought from their website... [email protected] Most rude,hateful,sarcastic person Ive ever had to deal with in trains. Look at their feedback on ebay. Click on their 9 neutrals. You should see their responses when a customer isnt happy. Name calling, rude/sarcastic as hell. My advice is to deal with someone else. Threaten a libel suit if I got Paypal involved! Over a $9 part!!! Just a word to the wise..

·
Registered
265 Posts
the best

Jeff at the train tender is the best for lionel parts. He will spend a ridiculous amount of time with you for some tiny parts, and with a smile, and will ship it before you even pay him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Parts numbers - pictures

I am looking to try to get some parts for the first time. I notice that the websites listed above give you the parts number, but no pictures to show you what you are purchasing. I was looking for example at the decals for a sunoco car, but I think there are more than one version of that car. Do I have to purchase a catalog or is there a publilcally available parts list with some pictures or will a catalog even give me more info?

·
16,665 Posts
Jeff Kane does have a Photo Description section on his website, though I'm not sure that he would show decal differences there. You're best bet is to call him (or another source), and describe exactly what you're looking for.

There is no "definitive" prewar parts list, if that's what your looking for.

TJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jeff has been great with help in getting the parts for restoring my 264e Commodore Vanderbilt Red Comet Set. As I am at the point on starting to paint, reminds me, I need to get a few more things ordered from him.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
parts thumbs up fot Jeff

Hey,guys..What can I say.Jeff at train tender is the most. I bought a complete set of gearing including the holder plus a new motor for a Chessie loco for less than $20.00 dollars shipped.Man,I couldn`t steal them any cheaper as I`d have to leave the house.:eek:

Have a good weekend,Everett

·
Registered
265 Posts
Jeff at the TRAIN TENDER is the best

It is not only price, but even more-so.... SERVICE:
Jeff is willing to generously share his time and knowledge with a beginner in a way that almost makes me feel guilty for taking up so much of his time.
Jeff is efficient and prompt in getting orders out immediately and trusting one to follow later with payment.
On a continuum, there is BIG BOX.........................MOM & POP........and then there is JEFF.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another parts source I have found is CHARLIE'S TRAINS. He is mainly a wire an light bulb source, but also carries a number of post war parts. He in Classic Toy Trains.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jeff from ttender.com

Ordered parts for a Lionel 6511 flatcar from Jeff. He called me because he fat fingered the wrong keys on my address. Great Guy!!! We had a nice visit. Sent my order before I could get him a check. Every thing in the order was well packed and his prices are as good as any I found. Thank you Model Train Forum for the link.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All,
Looking for bulk quantity 022 switch lanterns.
Notice repro ones fit loose in postwar 022 machines.
Noticed a locking bump on older lantern, it had no hole on top to help vent bulb heat.
I see 50 on eBay however, fear they will be loose fitting in the machine.
Any source, or comments most welcome.
-GT

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hi All,
Looking for bulk quantity 022 switch lanterns.
Notice repro ones fit loose in postwar 022 machines.
Noticed a locking bump on older lantern, it had no hole on top to help vent bulb heat.
I see 50 on eBay however, fear they will be loose fitting in the machine.
Any source, or comments most welcome.
-GT
Have you checked with Jeff from ttender.com? 585-229-2050

I called him the other day for parts and he's really helpful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Michelle,
Perfect! Looked at many sources however, TT looks to be my kind of place. Glad to have helpful folks like yourself for folks that need allot of help like myself... Whatever got you interested in model trains if I may be so bold as to ask? Cheers, & Thanks Again:) -GT

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hi Michelle,
Perfect! Looked at many sources however, TT looks to be my kind of place. Glad to have helpful folks like yourself for folks that need allot of help like myself... Whatever got you interested in model trains if I may be so bold as to ask? Cheers, & Thanks Again:) -GT
You're welcome, but I don't deserve the credit really, TT was recommended to me by Big Ed in the thread about the 2660 crane. I just like to pass it forward. :)

What got me into trains? My mom got a train for Christmas in the early 80's (basic plastic Lionel 027) and Santa wrote a note to her on the package that she should share her train with the kids. Then a few years later, they got a good sized post war O27 set at an auction. It was under the tree for years, but then life got in the way and it stopped coming downstairs.

Last year, after hearing my mom complain about "all the Christmas stuff in the attic that we never use" many years in a row, I started emptying the attic. lol Down came the train! I set it up and we all enjoyed it again. :) She told me that I should take it home with me after Christmas if I wanted it... then she started acting kinda weird about it and my dad told me that I probably wouldn't be taking it home quite yet. Evidently she had always wanted a train, but it wasn't an appropriate toy for girls in the 50's. She's not quite ready to give it up.

My husband did not have a train growing up; his older brother started a fire in their living room due to a faulty transformer and they never set it up after that. But he had always wanted one.

So, to make a long story longer....

Last week, when I was on craigslist I saw a listing for a train "Low bundled price for quick sale. 1940's - 1950's set includes 2 locomotives (shown) with tenders, 4 knob transformer (shown), 12 assorted rail cars, 8 remote switches, 60+ sections of straight and curved track, auto log loader and milk platform, plus other accessories." So, with my husband's blessing I went to look at it and said "sold" in about ten seconds. I felt a little guilty because he was letting it go for nothing, but he told me that he had checked ebay and knew what the real value was but that he just wanted to have it out and gone. We ended up with a pre-war set and a post war set, all from the original owner.

The cars are in decent played-with condition. The switches and controllers are a mess, the transformer's cord was repaired multiple times with tape. The log loader was powered with wires that were masking taped together... the transformer, log loader and 2020 engine are being overhauled by a local shop. The rest I'm doing myself - well, myself and all of you! :cool:

I'm a "figure it out" / "learn by doing" kind of person by nature, so tinkering with the switches and tracks and cars is fun. And that's probably more than you wanted to know. :laugh:

·
Registered
49 Posts
How about a good place to order MTH train parts. I bought a Premier caboose on ebay and it has a bent rear axle. Time for a new truck.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts