Model Train Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
update on my Olsen order.

My order went from originally being shipped with no tracking to being shipped out on a Sunday night with tracking via UPS.

I didn't care if it was shipped UPS, I just wanted the item in a fair amount of time or a refund saying sorry it's out of stock. Not make me wait. Like I said she could have put it in a small white envelope with a .49 cent stamp. I don't think a headlight lens is that big.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hate to speak ill of Olsens but I have found they are very slow in getting out shipments for any size order. Usually average 2 weeks before they are even shipped.Train Tender is tops to deal with. I called in a sizable order on a Friday and had the order in the mailbox Monday. Jeff is very knowledgeable and has items that are not on the website.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
I haven't purchased anything recently from Olsens, but I can say one of the Pluses of their site is the "LIBRARY", which is a great help to those who don't have a Service Manual. For some who don't know, but Sharon is actually Sal's daughter, who is continuing the business. There have been instances where Olsen is the only place to find a particular part, and NO ONE else has it. I have over a dozen suppliers bookmarked, and when I am looking for a part, I check them all, before I make a decision of where I will place my order. Some dealers have both Prewar and Postwar parts, and some parts are getting very scarce to find. That is when it comes down to having to find a "Junker" to scavenge parts from.

I haven't ordered anything from Toy Train Tender, YET, but Jeff seems to be the best source and well versed supplier, who can work with you. A lot depends on exactly what part you are ordering, and My choice is to order more than one item to make the purchase worthwhile.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
429 Posts
Jeff @TT has always been my main parts guy buying in bulk his prices are great such as liquid smoke element , light bulbs etc.Recently on phone with him i mentioned a 1958 lionel gp9 that had a worn worm gear and he said no problem sent it completely assembled installed in the geep and it runs like brand new.

He also reminded me when he first looks up your name on computer and said "you know you been ordering parts from me since...........
I replied" yes thanks for the reminder" we chuckled.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I rebuild, restore and sell many Lionel and AF transformers. I have been buying most everything from Jeff Kane at TTender.com for many years. He never lets me down. I picked up a few wrecks at last weekends TCA Loveland Colorado show originally for parts. A TW needs a used top case and a clip for for the green lens. A VW needs a used top case (or ZW 250 cover). Rather than strip them for parts I decided to email Jeff. I suspect he will find the VW cover but not the TW. Hopefully the price is low enough that I can make a decent profit. Lets see how he does this time....

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I just started buying parts from Jeff Kane. He had me on the phone for over 30 minutes.
LOL. None of the talk was train related. He is a character. Very nice guy. And usually cheaper.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Parts

I have bought some lionel stuff from this guy and have been very satisfied. He has lots of parts and alot of new old stuff. Prices seem very good. Aparrently he has bought out some large quantity of nos parts.
His name is David Spink (585-334-8547) or email [email protected] (New York)

Hope this helps
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
East Coast Train Parts runs shows in NJ. His assortment of parts brought to the shows is unbelievable. His repro boxes are spot on. I have bought quite a few of the boxes and the fit is always perfect.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts