Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first layout in many decades (last one was an HO 4x8 when Tyco was still a household word).

Main goals and/or design constraints:
1 - Passenger rail is my main interest and I hate the thought of 85' Budds on 2x radii, so 21.25" radius is my bare minimum. In the 10x10 space I have to work with this means an around the room layout with a swing out of some sort. I hate the thought of a swingout, and have been avoiding starting this project because of it, but I hate seeing passenger cars on crazy-tight turns even more.
2 - Must be able to break it down. I dont know how long we will be in this house, could be till I die, might only be 5 years so while this will not be habitually or repeatedly moved, it must be in chunks small enough to get out the door and into a van (or whatever).

With that in mind, here is plan alpha1. I'm thinking sections no more than 2x8', being mindfully to keep any points off of the section breaks.

This will not be modeling any specific locale, but will be more of a Canadian inspired theme: a Toronto or Vancouver Union Station type feature, a Fairmount-like 5-star resort/station in a rockies setting, and generic Canadian plains, forests, mountains in between. Maybe a switching yard somewhere in there. I dont know.

I'm at a sort of designer block here, having seen so many great enormous layouts, and innumerable small ones with 9" radii on them, none of which are particularly helpful to me here.

Any and all suggestions or mental pushes would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
All Aboard

It is a thrill to see those big lighted passenger cars
moving thru cities and valleys.

I wanted to chip in about your benchwork. Since
you expect to have a move coming up you might
consider a modular design.

Make of 1 X 3" lumber, a number of individual
frames that would be bolted together to form
the 'table' for your layout. Each would be screwed
together and have legs of 2- 1/3 s screwed together
as an L. These are bolted in the corners of the
frames. Screw on 1/4" plywood for the top. You
can use 2" foam on top of that so you can create
terrains.

This will give you lots of train time, yet you would
be able to unbolt it for the move. It has another
advantage. You can change your plans and bolt
the modules together in a different makeup.

Don

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
So it looks like you're the kind of person who wants to sit back and watch 'em run. Nothing wrong with that.

Two comments:
1) you have a lot of extra space. Why not double track the main and install a couple of crossovers. This is especially useful at stations, where it would allow a through train / Express service to pass a local stopped at the station.
2) you have a lot of extra space. If you're not planning some very detailed scenery / structures, why not pare it down some? It will make the pieces easier to move if you do have to take it down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to chip in about your benchwork. Since you expect to have a move coming up you might consider a modular design.
Thats the plan. In my initial sketch above you can see the four "pieces" (single 2x8 for the big station). Not sure if those are too big, but since moving them would be one-time only (if ever), I figure as long as they can get out the front door I'll be good.

So it looks like you're the kind of person who wants to sit back and watch 'em run.
Well, I do...and then some. I'm just having a hard time envisioning where a separate ladder yard would go for sorting a consist, or how I can overlay a separate line for a local Toronto GO sort of thing.

Thanks for the initial thoughts!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
So it looks like you're the kind of person who wants to sit back and watch 'em run. Nothing wrong with that.

Two comments:
1) you have a lot of extra space. Why not double track the main and install a couple of crossovers. This is especially useful at stations, where it would allow a through train / Express service to pass a local stopped at the station.
2) you have a lot of extra space. If you're not planning some very detailed scenery / structures, why not pare it down some? It will make the pieces easier to move if you do have to take it down.
Absolutely agree with CTValley. A dual main line will increase your watching pleasure ten-fold.

A passing siding, a couple of crossovers, and a couple of industry sidings along the way would be great too. You have a LOT of real estate to work with there and I would put it to use.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
This may help

This will be my first layout in many decades (last one was an HO 4x8 when Tyco was still a household word).

Main goals and/or design constraints:
1 - Passenger rail is my main interest and I hate the thought of 85' Budds on 2x radii, so 21.25" radius is my bare minimum. In the 10x10 space I have to work with this means an around the room layout with a swing out of some sort. I hate the thought of a swingout, and have been avoiding starting this project because of it, but I hate seeing passenger cars on crazy-tight turns even more.
2 - Must be able to break it down. I dont know how long we will be in this house, could be till I die, might only be 5 years so while this will not be habitually or repeatedly moved, it must be in chunks small enough to get out the door and into a van (or whatever).

With that in mind, here is plan alpha1. I'm thinking sections no more than 2x8', being mindfully to keep any points off of the section breaks.

This will not be modeling any specific locale, but will be more of a Canadian inspired theme: a Toronto or Vancouver Union Station type feature, a Fairmount-like 5-star resort/station in a rockies setting, and generic Canadian plains, forests, mountains in between. Maybe a switching yard somewhere in there. I don't know.

I'm at a sort of designer block here, having seen so many great enormous layouts, and innumerable small ones with 9" radii on them, none of which are particularly helpful to me here.

Any and all suggestions or mental pushes would be appreciated.
Sunsanvil;

The attached file, "3 & 4 How to build a better first layout" addresses the swing out, and other door spanning solutions. It also has some sketches of what can be done in small space, but only one has the wide curves you want.
I suggest making your sections 4' x 2' instead of 8' x 2'. They will not only be easier to move if you have to, they will also be easier to work on, and can eliminate crawling under the layout to work on wiring, switch machines, etc. That becomes a big deal when you get older.
One of the other files shows how I make the conifer trees in the photos. I model the Seattle Washington area of the Pacific Northwestern U.S. If you're going to build Canadian scenery, then I think that you will also need tons of conifer trees. :eek:
The remaining files are just nice to know stuff when your planning on building a layout.

have fun!

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment 3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

View attachment Paintbrush Pine Trees.pdf

View attachment Tips for handling small parts.pdf

View attachment All AboutTurnouts rev 5.pdf

trees 2.JPG

Trees closer view.JPG

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Traction fan makes an excellent point. 2x8 --- even a very light 2x8 with nothing on it that can be damaged -- is tricky to move about without help. 2x4 is much easier.

·
Registered
500 Posts

Two comments:

maybe add a double track so u can run 2 at once.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

As much as I was enamored with the notion of having a through style main station, its clear that I'm giving up a lot of length in order to couch it in curves in and out, and at that I was using #5s in that first draft.

A few more hours at AnyRail and this is where I'm at. Nothing but #7 points now. Not as many sweeping big radii now but still keeping to the 21.25" minimum.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
A lot of city terminals are just that: terminals, where the track ends. A backing maneuver is required to enter the station. What you have made there is realistic enough.

I think it destroys the sense of what you were trying to achieve, though. Yes, these structures take up a lot of space, but I think you were closer before. Maybe try a couple of #7 curved turnouts, or even a 6-1/2 (although these are usually 20" radius on the inside and your equipment might not like that). Worth a try, though, to get that through station back.

·
Registered
500 Posts
lotsa open space what do plan on doing with that?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lotsa open space what do plan on doing with that?
I'm leaving it for the deer, eagles, and squirrels! :)

Seriously though, I would like to squeeze in a yard of holding cars and building consists, maintenance etc. Not sure how to shoehorn that in yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts