Model Train Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Latest iteration. Overall size has been reduced to 9.5x9.5 feet (there was a lot of empty space and this will make it even easier to fit into a new room if we ever downsize our home). Min radius is still 21.25", all switches are Peco's "large". There is enough of a feeder to the union station such that the main will not be fowled by a train backing in. Not sure if the coach yard is really functional in terms of making up a train.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Just tell the chickens to 'shoo'.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think your plan has progressed very nicely from your first attempts. It looks good to me. The only thing I noticed is that you've got a significant "S" curve in the upper center when a train comes from the inner loop to the station leader track. That could be a problem with long passenger cars. I think you could swap the locations of the 2 track to track crossovers so that you eliminate/minimize that "S".

You mention in your first post transitioning from the main station to Canadian plains and mountains. I would suggest those transitions occur in your 2 gray zones. Perhaps on one side you could transition from the main station area to high density housing and then lower density housing before the plains. On the other side you could transition from plains to warehouse buildings to your main station. I would someday like to model a rolling plains type scene with cuts and fills through the hills for the train tracks. Anyway, just some ideas for your ample space.

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
I'm afraid you're right about the coach yard.

The way you have designed it, the only way a train gets out is by backing into the station. This will severely limit the length of your train. Also, you would generally want the road loco at the fron tof your train, which means it either has to go into the yard track first, or couple on after a switcher pulls the consist out of the yard.

The flow would be much improved if you made the coach yard double ended, and even more so if you joined it bact to the main on the left side.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
You might think about moving the thru tracks to the back and bringing the Coach yard and Union Station to the front. Makes it all a little more visible and easier if you have to use the HOG.

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
Sunsanvil -- that's the general idea, but as short as you made them, I think you only get two, maybe 3 cars per track until they foul the adjacent track. Maybe that's all you need, though.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
If you can extend the left side of the layout to the wall you can run your coach yard all the way down the left side and bring it back to the yard lead on a ladder. It doesn't look like it's too deep so reach shouldn't be a problem if needed.

That would give you almost seven feet of yard on each of the three tracks, give or take. That's enough for a six coach train less the locomotive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
As much as I like the terminus concept, its just so "expensive" in terms of real-estate in order to be able to back a train in: I literally need the same length of track again. So I'm back to a through style which I think will be more interesting in terms of trains going both ways around the layout. Still pretty hard to squeeze it in. I wish the room were twice as long in one direction and half as long in the other. <sigh>

This is a little m'eh though with no coach yard...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts