Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, not a lot to go on and I can't find whatever site it is they were taking about.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here's the site I found.
Searching entering
"Limited Editions" passenger cars
into the google found it and a good bit of other information about the brand.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the site I found.
Searching entering
"Limited Editions" passenger cars
into the google found it and a good bit of other information about the brand.
Good Luck.
Thanks, looks like they don't have anything right now. I got a batch of 9 kits for about $7/ea. Looks like they are planning to have some interior kits and accessories for them out soon.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Even without trucks, $7 each is a great price. How difficult to the kits look?

My SP Daylight and ATSF passenger consists are all Athearn. I paid an average of $5-6 each. No interiors and they're shorter than prototype, but they run pretty smooth, look good on my small layout and come mostly assembled.

Looking forward to seeing them assembled.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even without trucks, $7 each is a great price. How difficult to the kits look?

My SP Daylight and ATSF passenger consists are all Athearn. I paid an average of $5-6 each. No interiors and they're shorter than prototype, but they run pretty smooth, look good on my small layout and come mostly assembled.

Looking forward to seeing them assembled.
I'll let you know when they get here. Probably won't get them out together for a while. Maybe just do one to see how it goes. I've got to figure out what they should look like as far as paint and details. I'm a little out of my depth here with this stuff, at I just don't know much about trains yet. Except they are cool and the stuff from the 30s-40's has a timeless elegance (I've got a 36 Plymouth I feel the same about). So if you have any color pictures of what they might have looked like in their day if love to see them.

·
Registered
716 Posts
How's your paint skills?
These kits are based on the Southern Pacific cars that wore the "Daylight" Scheme.

If you're not interested in that sort of paintwork, your best bet is probably to flip the kits and instead purchase painted cars. There's allot of examples at every price point. I can think of at least 6 brands.

You'll likely spend more, but they'll likely also include trucks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How's your paint skills?
These kits are based on the Southern Pacific cars that wore the "Daylight" Scheme.

If you're not interested in that sort of paintwork, your best bet is probably to flip the kits and instead purchase painted cars. There's allot of examples at every price point. I can think of at least 6 brands.

You'll likely spend more, but they'll likely also include trucks.
Building the kit is part of the fun! I'm not afraid of the paint work, I'm not the best at it, but I'm learning and I enjoy it.

I purchased a L&N E7A. I think I'll go with that theme. Looks like the Hummingbird would have been their passenger train, but I can't tell if these would have been the correct cars. Note that it doesn't have to be 100% correct. I can't afford to chase down correct components to model a specific line. The E7 was super cheap clearance at model train stuff and the livery looks nice. Regardless, if at least like to know if they are the correct cars. But I'll probably do them that way regardless. Although a new shell can be had for about $30 for the locomotive from Bachmann, so that's a possibility.

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you're up for the painting, more power to you. Could be a fun project.
As for the whether the cars are correct, I'm sure someone here could point you in the right direction.
My hunch is that since these were built specifically to replicate SP Daylight cars, there will be some details that are unique to them, but that the overall style will be similar to other streamliners.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I think I'll try to do a few anyway, just for fun. It should look good. Looks like they did use an E8? For some passenger runs with those cars. So I could get by with painting the loco instead. But I really like the color combo on the L&N, so I'll stick with that for now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well strangely enough, I took another chance on an eBay lot (I'm addicted to buying large lots for cheap...I get lucky sometimes!) and wound up with a new, still sealed in the box aethern super powered f7 in SP daylight trim. I hadn't seen where they used an F7 for the daylight, but I've only searched for a few minutes. So I think a few will get daylight trim and a few will get hummingbird trim.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Thanks, I think I'll try to do a few anyway, just for fun. It should look good. Looks like they did use an E8? For some passenger runs with those cars. So I could get by with painting the loco instead. But I really like the color combo on the L&N, so I'll stick with that for now.

vette-kid;

E-units, like the E7 and E8, were built and used primarily for passenger service. The differences between an E7 and an E8 were mostly internal, and they looked a lot alike from the outside. Either unit would be quite appropriate for a passenger train in the 1950s-1960s era. The SP Daylight's most famous engine was a streamlined 4-8-4 steam locomotive, but diesels were used n later years. It's a very famous train, so you should be able to google it and get information on what cars and locomotives were used, along with some color photos.

Traction Fan :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well strangely enough, I took another chance on an eBay lot (I'm addicted to buying large lots for cheap...I get lucky sometimes!) and wound up with a new, still sealed in the box aethern super powered f7 in SP daylight trim. I hadn't seen where they used an F7 for the daylight, but I've only searched for a few minutes. So I think a few will get daylight trim and a few will get hummingbird trim.

That's not too far off from accurate. The Daylight was pulled for a while by FP7 locos. Essentially the same as what you've got, just a few feet longer to accommodate a steam generator.

My Athearn Daylight consist is not modeled after a specific Daylight consist but is pulled by an Athearn Alco PA A\B set which is accurate for the 50s and 60s.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
vette-kid;

E-units, like the E7 and E8, were built and used primarily for passenger service. The differences between an E7 and an E8 were mostly internal, and they looked a lot alike from the outside. Either unit would be quite appropriate for a passenger train in the 1950s-1960s era. The SP Daylight's most famous engine was a streamlined 4-8-4 steam locomotive, but diesels were used n later years. It's a very famous train, so you should be able to google it and get information on what cars and locomotives were used, along with some color photos.

Traction Fan :)
Thanks for that information!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's not too far off from accurate. The Daylight was pulled for a while by FP7 locos. Essentially the same as what you've got, just a few feet longer to accommodate a steam generator.

My Athearn Daylight consist is not modeled after a specific Daylight consist but is pulled by an Athearn Alco PA A\B set which is accurate for the 50s and 60s.
Thanks. In the automotive world I generally go for what we call "period correct". Something may not have been factory original on a car, but I'd correct for the period either as an aftermarket item or diy modification. Not exactly apples to apples, but that's my mentally with this. A period train that may not be an exact replica of a specific train, but uses period correct pieces.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thanks. In the automotive world I generally go for what we call "period correct". Something may not have been factory original on a car, but I'd correct for the period either as an aftermarket item or diy modification. Not exactly apples to apples, but that's my mentally with this. A period train that may not be an exact replica of a specific train, but uses period correct pieces.

That's generally how I operate as well, Generally era correct (80's and 90's), but I fudge it here and there.

In some cases though, I'm not even anywhere near the same era. I still plan to run some early diesel freight and I've got 3 vintage passenger consists (ATSF Streamliners, SP Daylight and Garfield Central heavyweights) that I will run as "heritage" equipment as they're way out of era.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts