Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I've got a couple of buddies that have undertaken the project. Be careful should you decide to undertake the mission. Some lights get plenty hot and will melt the body. I'd advice using LED's although some of them are mighty bright. I'd also recommend using a "chase " to mount them for wiring and light attachment.

Bob

·
Yard Master & Research
10,635 Posts
This is my version. The trucks were ready for pickup.
To make a pickup from a plastic truck and special metal wheels with an insulated side and metal axle.I use the spring from a steel measure tape. Have a hole for the truck (where it touches the frame)and cut fingers to touch the axle. I had small wires soldered to these for power. The bulbs are low amperage so little heat. Car or flash light bulbs run hot. Stationmaster made a good point.
LEDs, you need a bridge rectifier and resistors.Plus white LEds will run you the cost of a lighting kit. The rectifier adjusts for the changes in polarity when you reverse. The LED is one current direction only.
thread
Lighting kits come with the metal wheels and wipers. With all the parts it's not bad. Making wipers requires a little patience. Cutting that small is challenging. The metal spring did work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts