Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few sets of Kato passenger cars with bulb light kits installed before the LED kits came out, and I have several Atlas cars with bulb lights. What would happen if I were to put these on the track of a DCC layout? Would they cause some kind of problem? Would they light up?

I plan to convert the 13 Kato cars to LED lighting, but the Atlas cars are different. I could remove the wipers that get power from the wheels, or I could try to install LED lighting drawing power from the track, but I would like to know if anything dangerous would happen if I were to use any of these in a DCC system. It is easy enough to just not use them until converting them to LED.

I don't yet have DCC, not even a real layout as I am working toward clearing space in the basement for a layout.

·
Registered
718 Posts
These "incandenscent" bulbs will light as if you are running a train at full speed... they will illuminate constantly, just sitting on the tracks...generating heat and in theory, may cause some issue with plastic models. In my case, I am going to change out ALL of my lighted passenger cars to LED. Besides the heat issues, you are burning AMPS, that could be better used to run more locomotives on your layout. DCC control's have a max amperage you can run, some 2 to 5 amps. By burning up amps to run incadenscent bulbs you start using up your power supply and DCC equipment. Change them out even if you run DC!!!!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These "incandenscent" bulbs will light as if you are running a train at full speed... they will illuminate constantly, just sitting on the tracks...generating heat and in theory, may cause some issue with plastic models. In my case, I am going to change out ALL of my lighted passenger cars to LED. Besides the heat issues, you are burning AMPS, that could be better used to run more locomotives on your layout. DCC control's have a max amperage you can run, some 2 to 5 amps. By burning up amps to run incadenscent bulbs you start using up your power supply and DCC equipment. Change them out even if you run DC!!!!
Thanks for your reply. It is likely that I will have converted most of these cars to LED before I will bw able to stabilize a layout and implement DCC. The Kato cars can be easily changed to LED, but the Atlas cars will take more time, but I don't use them much. Good to know the incandescent lights aren't a big danger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts