Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a P&BR VO1000 shell on eBay recently. It was from an older MTH release from around 2003 I believe. The P&BR was a road owned by Bethlehem Steel and the line served the Sparrows Point Steel mill near Baltimore, Maryland.

The shell was almost complete for that early edition, but missing a couple parts. I bought a PS3 VO1000 and did a shell swap. The newer shell was removed and the cab interior and crew were removed to install in the older P&BR shell.

The P&BR shell was not made for smoke operation, missing the duct work and having stacks that were not hollow. The shell also didn’t have the “lands” where the three screws would go to mount the ducting. I decided to omit the smoke feature altogether. I removed the smoke unit from the new PS3 chassis.

Next, I had to make new handrails from brass stock as the rails were missing on the cabs of both engines. Finally, the older head light bulbs Had to be swapped with the PS3 LEDs. A very easy task.

Everything went together fine and the engine runs great. I just need to paint the handrails white...

Tom

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Spence.
I plan on adding a bell to the front. The original had an air bell up by the front headlight...

Tom

·
Registered
133 Posts
New guy here. I like that engine, but I really like that track it is sitting on. Please give name brand of track. I wish to look for availability in my area. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Tom – The Baldwin looks great. I don’t have a single VO 1000. How do you like the sound?

Andy – That’s Ross track. Essentially the same as Gargraves track, but the Ross track has spikes. You might do better pricewise (for Gargraves) if you get it from one of the on-line retailers. From what I have seen, Ross is priced the same whether you get it directly from Ross or from a retailer.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Nice work Tom. I think I asked this before (CRS) but it appears Bethlehem Steel, not the company running the trains, that determined the paint scheme. Seems all the other roads like the South Buffalo has the same scheme.

Pete

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.

Bob, the sound is pretty good. I never heard a Baldwin in real life, some of the P&BR Baldwins had Hancock Airchimes, but this engine in particular, had a single trumpet air horn. The sound program is right on.

Andy, Bob has it right. I have a mix of Gargraves and Ross track in my stockpile. Honestly I didn’t know the difference until Bob pointed it out. I plan on Gargraves track and Ross switches for my future layout.

Pete, you are correct. The black and yellow was the standard paint scheme for all Bethlehem Steel owned railroads. There variations on the paint work, like some frames were black and some were yellow. Same with the pilot breastplates. As long as there was black and yellow paint on the engines, that filled the bill as far a the front office was concerned. Otherwise, there was no standard paint scheme. Even the yellows tended to be different shades within the same railroad...

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts