Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a companion for my PB&NE slug unit. It is based on a MTH NW2, now an ex-Reading locomotive. I removed all the electronics and motors first. The steps and frame will be mostly black, while the car body will get the yellow and black Bethlehem Steel scheme. Everything was sanded and given a coat of Tamyia grey primer.

It should look like this Engine when it is finished...hopefully...number 21 or 27...two NW2s on the PB&NE roster...

Tom

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
That looks like an ambitious project.

Out of curiosity, I checked to see what MTH has made with the PB&NE road name. Although it’s just a terminal switching RR, I was expecting to see more than two items: a gondola and an SW1200 in the red and yellow paint scheme.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank guys. It is a fairly easy project compared to the slug unit...no cutting!

Bob, I have the MTH SW1200. It is nice paint job, but it wouldn’t match the slug very well. I didn’t know they made a gondola. I have to look for one of those...

Tom

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, hot metal cars and slag cars were normally owned by the mill and they could be in really rough shape as they were not interchanged with other railroads. Usually any markings would be burned off or coated with dirt.

I like the picture of the PB&NE engine pulling hot metal and slag cars. I don’t think it happened too often at other mills as handling these cars on a day to day basis was considered “in house” work and moved using Bethlehem Steel Company engines...usually yellow or orange. Allentown seems to be one exception...

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the base colors today....

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Black applied. Doing decals next....

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Randy and Bob.

The decals are made by Netzlof design. I found them on EBay as they had HO decals listed. I contacted them and they informed me that they also produce the steel plant road decals in O scale As well as many other railroads.

Tom

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Lee and John.

This paint work on this engine is pretty simple. I need to work on my prep and painting skills. I do okay with the decaling but I am never happy with the paint work. I used to paint a lot of HO stuff with multiple colors and the results were fine. It seems I have lost a bit of the touch. I also need to upgrade some of my supplies like using decent masking tape. I have a few more projects in line but I need to get a little better first...

Tom

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here we are at the almost done stage. I reassembled the chassis with the control board, motors and trucks. I gave a test run to make sure I did the assembly correctly.

The car body received the decals. They are Netzlof decals for the PB&NE markings and K-4 products decals for the safety slogans. I touched up some paint spots and let the shell dry.

It has been clear coated with Scale Coat II satin clear. It will sit for a couple days before I install the windows, crew and headlights....

Tom

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Randy. It is still drying from the clear coat....I am getting anxious to finish it!

Tom

·
Registered
483 Posts
The car body received the decals. They are Netzlof decals for the PB&NE markings and K-4 products decals for the safety slogans. I touched up some paint spots and let the shell dry.

Tom
Tom, please provide a link to Netzlof and K-4 products decals. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts