Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the turnouts on my layout are Peco #8's. They rea great in the yard as they allow for adequate spacing which is anytime I need to add or take cars of the tracks.

They make for a super smooth transition for cross-overs on the mainlines. I have five such cross-overs on my layout and so far the longest cars I have are 85-footers for my passengers. I have made a couple of videos of my trains engaging the cross-overs so that you can see how nice they look on the mains.

My suggestion... if you have the space use the #8's you won't be sorry.

Here is my El Capitan thru cross-over #1 at 35 smph.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I have a #8 Peco for my yard lead. It is wonderfully smooth for backing trains into the yard and looks very prototypical.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As good as the passenger cars look on the #8 cross-overs, the freight trains look even better.

Reefer Block going thru #1 cross-over in the opposite direction on the El Cap.

Same train thru Cross-over #3

·
Registered
381 Posts
If I had an aircraft hanger, I'd use #8's everywhere, but to maximize things I'm using #8's for mainline sidings and crossovers. Yard turnouts are #6.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I agree the #8 is a great switch, the longer the better. Issue I now have is space. I have shrunk from a large layout to a 5x9. Compromises had to be made. I will say that Peco makes good switches in all sizes. There smaller ones function well and I have had far fewer derailments using them than their Atlas equivalents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts