Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a video on fine tuning a Peco electrofrog turnout. The idea is to prevent stalls in the turnout. I have about 10 of these and usually a good cleaning keeps them working fine. Now, I have one that needs some help so I hoped this video is a quick fix. They snipped 2 wires connecting 2 gaps and then connected 4 rails with 2 different wires. Easy enough. Then, the wire from the frog is connected to the point motor. I manually switch my turnouts so this frog wire seems unnecessary. Is it?? Or what do I do with it? AND Is all I need just the first 2 steps? Unfortunately, they didn't cover this part because they hooked up the switch motors with the frog wire.
As usual, Thanks

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I am aware of the modification you are discussing. If you do this modification, the frog is now dead unless you power the frog with the wire going to the switch motor. This will cause much frustration with short wheel-based locomotives. Caboose Industries makes a manual ground throw with contacts to power the frog.
There's no picture for this item, but I've used them in the past and they work pretty well.
Posts 72 and 73 show how I assembled and installed them:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Flyboy. I don't use switch motors. I switch them manually so what do I do with the frog wire? Do I still need it?
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts