Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking for streamlined MTH 18” passenger cars for my D&H Alcos for a week or so. While I was at it, I thought I would look for some streamlined Pennsy cars for my GG1s to pull. I have a dozen 18” PRR Madisons, but think that streamlined cars would look better with the GG1s. It took only a few days to find a 5 car PRR set from 2004 and a matching 2 car set from 2006 (both NIB and from different sellers). I will eventually find a D&H set, but it will probably take a lot longer. On the big auctions site there is currently over 100 offerings for PRR MTH passenger cars, but only about 6 for D&H.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a set of 18” Williams aluminum passenger cars. Not what I am looking for. I want detailed interiors, not silhouettes. The MTH Premier cars are the right size and have the right amount of detail. Brand new sets (recent production) can be somewhat pricy, but older production (after they switched to detailed interiors) can be had for the right price.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
If the decals were available, I could paint a few....

I would do one just for the chance to try it out. I could probably find decals that would work. The paint is available.

what type of MTH car would you be thinking about? A stainless 18” streamlined car?

Tom

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone on another forum suggested I paint some. But the hunt is still young so I’ll keep looking for the MTH D&H cars. If I get impatient, I may look for some Santa Fe or Burlington cars to paint. But as soon as I finish that, the D&H cars would show up.

Not sure which cars I would get to paint though. Definitely 18” silver sided (not plated) streamliners, but not sure about smooth or ribbed. The MTH D&H cars are rib sided with blue at the window level and yellow above. Actual D&H car photos that I have seen are smooth sided with blue at the windows, yellow above and below. The MTH ribbed cars have number boards that can be popped off for decaling, but It looks like the smooth sided cars don’t. Maybe before I started, I would practice removing old numbers from a smooth sided car and applying decals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts