Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few years of fiddling around, I have finally returned to building the O Gauge layout, similar to what Dad and I built many moons ago but on a more sturdy and unique structure. Cantilever supports no legs on the floor. If I do expand from side to side, will have to have it on a hinge and support legs. My thought is if I ever have to take up the carpet it would be easier.
I am replacing the existing supports with four foot lengths, left side is complete, middle to follow. Right side will be easier to widen. The extra gives a full four feet for plywood and the remaining support protruding out allows for a fascia. I have some old locust boards in my barn, roughly one by six, well weathered and ready for a new life.
The full width allows for a couple of loops, been experimenting with multiple train operation, everything from the oldest version, tying two legs together with fiber pins and lock-ons, to 153C contactor, will probably settle on relays, found an article that spells it out for what I went to do.
Will keep this updated.

the stray 2x4 in the first photo is a temporary brace where the two sheets come together
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Composite material Plank

Table Wood Toy Toy block Lego

Building Wood Interior design Flooring Floor

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
It's safe to say that ain't falling down! :D
Well, I agree that there's plenty of beef below the layout, but just be sure you're securely anchored into the wall structure at the top, because all of the downward force that traditionally would be supported by the legs will now be trying to peel the layout and its (very heavy) support structure right off the wall (worst case scenario: I can envision someone casually leaning on the edge of the layout! :oops:). At minimum IMHO, lag bolts into each and every wall stud . . . (y)

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Very nice!

I made my staging area so that the platform is supported only by the walls, but the main part is supported by a 10’ long C channel. My biggest cantilever is only about a foot, but I made it beefy because it holds the drop down.

Agree with using lags to hold the structure to the studs.

I like the idea of giving the locust a new life.
Table Wood Floor Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Chair Rectangle Wood stain Material property

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The horizontal supports running parallel to the wall are secured into each wall stud, each support that the plywood rests on is secured with a joist hanger ( similar to building a deck), then the diagonal supports rest on a horizontal support at the bottom, each is secured into the wall studs. Will have to post a photograph of the skeleton structure before the plywood is laid on top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts