Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, if i'm to build a layout for my grandkids to use I've the challenge of plywood being to heavy for me to move around. I'm thinking of trying a 4x8 sheet of heavy installation board. Since it is a syrofoam material I'll have to figure out how affix the O track.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
What I did was to build a box frame then cut the 4 x 8 into 4 x 4 for installation. Much easier than man handling 4 x 8's.

Bill

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Well, I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know your situation, but some thoughts:
If it were me:
1) I'd ask the kids father to help with the board. That's actually what I do now in my case (a 4 x 8 would be too much for me, too).
2) If that didn't work, I'd buy pieces. At the Lowes and Home Depot near me I can get 2 x4 boards. I can handle those. I'd have to build a framework under them with 2" x 4"s, but I can handle one 2 x 4 x 8 foot at a time, I think.

Advice: build the table strong enough and stable enough that your grandkids can get up and walk on it. Because they will (I did when I was six).

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Depending on the track, you can use simple white glue to fix the track in place. It holds well, but will break loose with out too much problem if you need to adjust or change track sections.

Tom

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm assuming you have frame to attach the foam to.

If so, you could fasten track with white glue, latex caulk, and I've put a drop of super glue on a screw and screwed into the foam. be surprised how well it holds.

good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haven't got that far yet................; will start on the floor; if i'm successful in "hooking" a couple of the grandkids into model trains I'll likely have to enhance the arrangement in which case it'll have to be on a raised platform of some kind but that will be "tomorrow's" challenge.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I like the idea of getting help from a friend. If you can’t do that, see if your local store (Home Depot, Lowes or whatever) will rip a sheet of plywood I half so you have two 2’ X 8’ pieces or two 4’ X 4’ pieces. Another option is to get a thinner sheet of plywood (maybe 5/8” or ½” thick) that may be light enough to handle and use a panel carry. I use one to carry ¾” plywood…not easy, but I manage.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Panel-Carry-Orange-93-300K/202262083

I wouldn’t use just rigid foam by itself, especially if it’s going to be on the floor. You could use foam with thinner plywood such as 3/8” thick to back up the foam. Use a foam compatible adhesive such as Loctite PL300 to bond the foam to the plywood.

Unless you get a very good grade of plywood, it will most likely not be perfectly flat so you will need a frame of 2x3s, 2x4s or L girders.

P

·
0 Posts
All I can say to this is my wife and I are in our late seventies and in connection with building our new layout, we moved and placed 14 sheets of 3/4" 4x8 sheets of cabinet grade plywood. Would I want to do this everyday, no, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I would not build a layout on just Styrofoam.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is submitted as a “for what it’s worth”. Xmas layout only and temporary. 2” foam on 1” x 8” interlocking grid base. Not for everybody, but it is what it is. YMMV

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmmmmmmmm, gives me some new ideas on how to accomplish my mission. did you secure the tubular track to the 2" foam? if not, any idea on best approach?

·
Registered
67 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm, gives me some new ideas on how to accomplish my mission. did you secure the tubular track to the 2" foam? if not, any idea on best approach?
A number of members here had ideas. I chose to use white glue coated brown panel nails pushed into foam for the O27 tubular. And these #4 screws used the same way for the FT. Chose them because the head size fits flush into the fastrack holes, then painted them. No problems. Course the ballast aids in holding also.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
This is submitted as a “for what it’s worth”. Xmas layout only and temporary. 2” foam on 1” x 8” interlocking grid base. Not for everybody, but it is what it is. YMMV
As a temporary setup, that looks like a great way to go. Easy to setup and store. Would probably also work quite well for a permanent setup. I think I would still want to back up the foam with something like 5mm luan, but I guess once you get all the scenery installed, there is little chance that someone will lean on or stand on the platform.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great, I see a path forward by combining the info provided in response to this posting with the forum's suggestion (different posting) that I consider Tinman for some track related needs.

If successful and I get the grandkids excited about the trains I'll expand my investment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As a temporary setup, that looks like a great way to go. Easy to setup and store. Would probably also work quite well for a permanent setup. I think I would still want to back up the foam with something like 5mm luan, but I guess once you get all the scenery installed, there is little chance that someone will lean on or stand on the platform.
Here’s the storage in the “cave”. May not be ideal, but works ok. Is covered with the cheapest plastic drop cloth I could buy.

Attachments

P

·
0 Posts
Temporary layout, I would be good with 2" high density Styrofoam, but a permanent layout, no. Very limiting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Temporary layout, I would be good with 2" high density Styrofoam, but a permanent layout, no. Very limiting.
I agree, the “layout” I think about building to get it off the carpet will be conventional wood based. Still a lot of planning to do. I am watching your thread on that subject. Thx for starting it. I have a modest space available.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I wonder why no one seems to use metal studs. They are inexpensive, light, square and true, and easily worked with hand tools.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts