Model Train Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got 2 patio tables from Menards, put them side by side, added 2 inch thick pink foam in 2x4 sheets, added Astro turf type indoor/outdoor carpet, added lots of FasTrack, and voila instant and portable/knockdownable layout.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
2" rigid foamboard it iz!

appreciate the "hand-holding"......at 73 I've learned not to be too proud
thought that with all the help I get from this forum I ought to update ya'll on my progress; not quite finished yet and had plenty of challenges but I now have my layout loosely in place; you might find it interesting on my method for routing wiring....note the grooves in the foamboard that will eventually be covered with "grass" or whatever. had to add a "shelf" for the controls rather than use layout real-estate for such admin.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
haven't got that far yet................; will start on the floor; if i'm successful in "hooking" a couple of the grandkids into model trains I'll likely have to enhance the arrangement in which case it'll have to be on a raised platform of some kind but that will be "tomorrow's" challenge.
So I gather the board will start on the floor without a platform. In that case, I would think you want the 4x8 board intact - in one 4x8 piece - as there won't be framework to hold smaller sections together. It could be raised a bit for the young 'uns by placing most anything underneath - a bunch of tin food cans, old paint cans, buckets, etc.

And I would glue some wood around it's four edges. That would keep it's edges intact as people climb over the edge to re-rail trains, place scenery, etc.; and if the board will be stored away when not in use. Perhaps with a little "lip" to keep trains from falling off if it is raised up.

I've heard others suggest commonly available Ping Pong tables for a simple layout. A ping Pong table is 5' x 10". That would afford a little more room for an O-scale layout. And it comes with its own "legs".

For my in-progress layout build, I was still able to manage 1/2" 4' x 8' OSB boards by myself (strained a tendon doing it - should have bought one of those sheet rock carriers). If I couldn't, my neighbors would help me. If not for that, I would have sought and enlisted a couple of HS boys to move it for me - $5 bucks each for 5 minutes work to move them in position ...

Panel Mover.png

·
Registered
505 Posts
nice start!!!
i was going 4x8 which turned into 6.4x10 lol... just that extra bit added a lot. i am going to do a controller area too...but i did a turn area to gimme some layout room for what im going to do....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I built 4x4 tables with 1/2" plywood then put homeasote over the plywood. It is similar to bulletin board material. It deadens sound and is very easy to put screws (my preference) or nails into. I used 2x2 lumber for legs and used lag screws to connect 4x4 tables to one another. A cross brace at the ends of the constructed 4x8 table is a good idea. I did not add the homeasote until the tables were erected -- easier to move and carry them without the added weight.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts