Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a numbers guy.

I found this on the CDC site about the 2018/2019 flu season:

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That's fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC's 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.
That's .006% of the world population infected.

I also did some calculations on % of population of the top 10 infected countries in the attached file:

To be fair and for full disclosure I also did this for the 3/18 numbers and some went up quite a bit in the 4 days. Some also stayed quite steady. The # of US cases doubled.

But overall it's got a ways to go to even come close to the 2018/2019 flu season numbers. The death rate appears to be higher but that will most likely go down as the total cases go up.

I just think it is totally irresponsible for the talking heads on news TV to talk about 80% of the country could become infected and especially irresponsible for the governor of California to state that 50% of California, approximately 35.5 million people, could become infected. There is nothing to back that up. Even the LA Times questioned that and asked where those numbers came from and they got no response.

Attachments

·
Admin
43,214 Posts
Welcome to the new reality. The TV news loves a good crises, and any crises will do just fine. One airplane crash kills as many people as have died in the US from this virus, and those fade from the news in days. They've got the public scared and looking for more news. Ratings go up and that feeds on itself. IMO, the irresponsible hyping of this has done far more damage than the virus will ever do!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
Welcome to the new reality. The TV news loves a good crises, and any crises will do just fine. One airplane crash kills as many people as have died in the US from this virus, and those fade from the news in days. They've got the public scared and looking for more news. Ratings go up and that feeds on itself. IMO, the irresponsible hyping of this has done far more damage than the virus will ever do!
I agree, every corner you turn all it is is Corona Corona....................and what we need here is some more threads to feed the minds. :rolleyes:

I don't think we have had enough posted on this. :rolleyes::smokin:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Wellll, the percentage of those who contract the virus is about like the percentage of people in the Godzilla movie who get stepped on. If they're paying attention, they'll get outa the way.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Comparisons to past flu epidemics are not all that valid because the numbers from the past are basically final whereas COVID-19 numbers are still coming in. Italy had almost 800 deaths on Saturday alone. We just don't know what will be the outcome.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Does anyone really think this pandemic has no political overtones?

“This virus laid bare the severe shortcomings of the current administration,” Mr. Biden said, standing in front of a backdrop of American flags. “Public fears are being compounded by pervasive lack of trust in this president, fueled by adversarial relationships with the truth that he continues to have.”

www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
If this gets closed, thanks Dennis.

·
Admin
43,214 Posts
Dennis, we're NOT going to start down that road again here. I'm going to close this one also.

If you want to talk politics, there are countless sites you can argue the various points and counterpoints about any topic, this is not one of them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.