Model Train Forum banner

Photo Album: Smoke em if you’ve got em.

5K views 56 replies 22 participants last post by  gunrunnerjohn 
G
#1 · (Edited)
One of the more difficult images to capture is indoor smoke. Often it’s just a matter of luck. Show us your lucky “Smoke” shots.

Here’s one to get us started:

View attachment 485746

#3 ·
Sometimes it’s a matter of timing...with some luck thrown in for good measure...:)
Here is a recent photo and in my opinion, including the smoke certainly can add an additonal element of action and realism...

Scale model Transport Train Railway Locomotive

G
#4 ·
Sometimes it’s a matter of timing...with some luck thrown in for good measure...:)
Here is a recent photo and in my opinion, including the smoke certainly can add an additonal element of action and realism...
Nice photo Paul. Smoking locomotive photos can be very illusive. The smoke adds so much to a photo.

#5 · (Edited)
My best smoking engine is MTH RailKing ProtoSound 1 engine. I rarely run it anymore because it is conventional and I only run command controlled engines on my Christmas Layout each year.

This is one of my "all time favorite" photos from my Christmas Layout in 2003 with engine coming out of a tunnel...

View attachment 485750

Here are few photos from Spring 2015 which is the last time I ran it...

View attachment 485752

View attachment 485754

View attachment 485756

I think there is engine down there somewhere!

View attachment 485758

You would think there is a fire in the house from this photo....

View attachment 485760

#7 ·
The best smoke I ever saw was when the smoke regulator shorted on a Legacy 10-wheeler, it came out of a tunnel and looked like it was on fire! :D

This is a clip from one of my upgrades, I added fan driven smoke to the Hogwart's Locomotive. For some reason, the smoke seems to show up better in video than stills.

Transport Amusement ride Amusement park Pc game Screenshot

#9 ·
Lionel TMCC BNSF with 27 ohm resistor replaced with MTH 16 ohm resistor. (A practice not recommended by those who know better.)

Smoke Gas

Funny thing, this photo lead to an offer to purchase that I couldn't turn down! (Buyer was made well aware of what was done and potential issues.)

#19 ·
I have never caught "Old Reliable" (first run Legacy FEF-3) doing smoke rings although she does at slow speeds. This screensaver is of a single puff and I am particularly proud of it because it's from after the AC regulator had to be replaced as well as the smoke unit batting:

Transport Train Locomotive Vehicle Rolling stock

Normal service was resumed. That's important because I will never forget when I first put power to this engine on the track and the smoke started to billow out. I could not believe what I was seeing.

#29 ·
Normal service was resumed. That's important because I will never forget when I first put power to this engine on the track and the smoke started to billow out. I could not believe what I was seeing.
The smoke regulator shorting is one of the more spectacular smoke events possible, it gives you some outstanding smoke, but only for 20-30 seconds! The only long term effect is you seem to smell the charred circuit board odor for years! :eek:hwell:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.