Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 551 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Like you mopac I had several thousand die cast vehicles as I used to be a Hot Wheels and Matchbox collector/ seller. The most I ever had was 5,000. Took up three walls in my basement plus I forget how many of those plastic containers that have pullout drawers. I never got $750 for any one of them but I did sell several in the $200-300 range. That was then turned into train buying money or I bought somebody's die cast collection to resell for train money. Still got just over 2,000 of the things. Some of those cars and trucks look fine on my Flyer layout. Matchbox made some nice stuff way back when. Since my layout is in the early years of the steam to diesel era, those cars and trucks go a long way toward identifying and dating the years, especially those old Matchbox Cadillacs and trucks.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Royal Blue

I have a Royal Blue engine and tender as well. I have had this engine for years and it runs fine. However, it has a problem. On the top of the engine on the raised portion there is a quarter sized chip in the casting. I bought it his way because it was cheap. I have ran it on my layout as is from time to time. Now I want to fix the damage. I know how to fix the the chip but don't know where to get the proper paint.
Anybody got any ideas or recommendations? I've checked Menard's for a spray can but nothing looked satisfactory for a color match. The rest of the paint on the engine is pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
flyernut and others

Sandblasting is certainly a good way to go but may I suggest using glass beads also? Looks just like white sand, does the same job but isn't as hard on metal as sand. I have used the glass beading method since my hot rod building days. In fact I have had the same blasting cabinet for years. I can regulate the air pressure so as to not damage softer metal. For whatever reason, the glass beading leaves the metal surface, well, glass smooth. In fact, it does something to the metal surface. I have left bare metal car items on my bench for days before painting and no sign of rust. Even in humid days. Since I am not a metallurgist, I have no idea why bare metal does not rust after glass beading. I have yet to find anything the glass beading method will not remove from metal.
And no painting isn't a problem with the surface being the way it is. Just prime and paint. Paint with primer in it works too.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Cramden, nice 940 and C&EI open hopper. I have the same cars except my C&EI is missing a lower step rung and has a small scratch near that area.
Did you know there are 2 color versions of the 940? I have two sets of both. One is a little darker shade of grey.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Cramden I forgot to mention your 271 Whistle Stop set. I have one of those in the original box as well and the underneath sticker you show in your picture. I am missing one of the stickers from the side of the news stand, otherwise all is complete.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Sorry about the hopper mix up cramden. I knew they were mopacs, but brain waves shorted out. That's what I get for trying to think of two things at once. Maybe mopac will see the post?
I knew there were signs for those Whistle Stop buildings available but haven't taken time to search.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
flyernut

flyernut you are making me cry. I had '69 Nova SS, 396, 375 hp, 4 speed 4:11 gear. It was the RPO L78 version. Mine was a lighter blue but otherwise just like yours. Bench seats, rubber floor mats, and only power steering. No other options. Sorry I ever sold it. All told I have had 6 version of the ChevyII/Nova cars.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I have 3 633 Reefers. 2 red painted and 1 Tuscan. I don't know when I bought them since I have been collecting so many years. I know one of them came in a box but don't know where the box is. I am not a box collector but I never turn down a chance to get them when possible. I consider that a side perk.
I bought a small collection 5 years ago and all but two of the 12 cars were in the blue and yellow boxes.
All of my other boxes are in a plastic container somewhere. The contents are out on the layout or, if rare, in a glass door display case.

As a side note, when I go to shows I never neglect to look under the vendor's table after I have checked what the vendor is displaying. I have gotten several boxcars, gons, and hopper cars that had scratches or scrapes on them cheap. They are perfect candidates for weathering for the layout. Since they are already damaged, the weathering just enhances the used hard appearance, especially hopper cars. Broken steps are easily repaired too.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've only seen a red or gray T&P 631 gondola in pictures and eBay. Never in person. Once upon a time I decided to try and collect every gondola variation I could find. As a result, I have found at least 5 variations of the green 631. Lettering location, font size, green color variations, painted and unpainted green to name a few. As the picture cramden posted shows, there is also a difference in the ends of these cars.
In my gondola buying frenzy back then I did bid on both a red and gray 631 on eBay but didn't like where the bidding was going. For what those 2 cars were selling for I want to see them up close and personal and in my hands. Both were over the $125 price and the auction had 3 days to go. I never did check the ending selling price. Greenberg lists the unpainted dark gray as $295 in excellent condition and the red painted one at $164 in excellent condition. As we all know everybody claims their item is in excellent condition.

There are other gondolas with pricey variations as well. One example that comes to mind is the "American Flyer" gray version that Greenberg lists at $283 in excellent condition. Nope didn't buy that one either off eBay. There are 2 red versions of the "American Flyer", painted and unpainted red which I have, and a 1953 "Frisco" Tuscan or light brown, whatever you want to call it, version that is very common and cheap which I also have. As I'm sure most everybody knows, just like hoppers of which I have 24, there are many versions of gondolas. At last count I have 26 of those when I stopped buying.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Very nice Cramden. It looks like I am not the only one that has both versions of that Monon piggy back flat car set. I have no boxes though. I bought the 956 off eBay 8 years ago. I got the 23830 and the unloader in a collection I bought. The unloader was never out of the wrapper, plus I got the American Flyer paper work with it.
I have several different piggy back trailer sets. I should have counted them before I posted. I had planned on making a piggy back trailer train with all the ones I have. Haven't gotten around to it yet. On my list of things I planned but never got to.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I have a few of the 300 series engines. While not as many as some, it is a good variety.
2-302
1-302AC
2-303
2-307
I saved the best for last. I bought a 1951 590T Atlantic three car set at an auction. It contains a pristine 300 AC, and like wise pristine 642, American Flyer, red painted over what looks like an orangeish base, a Red not painted American Flyer 641 Gondola, and a 638 not painted red caboose. In the box with the set is a N0. 1 transformer with crisp letters and numbers and a very soft, flexible cord. There are 12 pieces of 702 track, a 690 track clip, and a 704 manual uncoupler. The whole set and track shows very light run time. All wheels show that this set was used but only lightly then put away.
The box the train was in is not the original. However there is an American Flyer A. C. Gilbert set numbered box end along with the operating instruction manual. The engine was wrapped in the original AF wrapper. There are what could pass for boxes for the cars. The only one with a label on the end is the 641 Gondola. Otherwise the boxes are ragged. Considering the condition of the cars and engine I was surprised as to their box condition. For that matter why no original set box? Only the 590T numbered end panel. Everything checks out for sets listed in my handy dandy David Boyle American Flyer Trains catalog. At some point I will take the set out of the box and display it in my glass case. too nice to run. I got plenty of others to run.

Since I am posting on this thread, I suppose I should learn how to post pictures to be fair to the rest of you.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Broke I have used the paint brush bristles for grass/weeds for years. I buy the cheapest yellow bristle brushes I can find. They really do work great. Some times I leave them as is, other times I will spray a coat of some green paint on the bristles. I also vary the height of them.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Okay guys I finally got some pics to post but I seem to be stuck in limbo. I am stuck in "Images in category: Member layouts". How do I post them from there to here and where do I put in text? Maybe I picked the wrong way to do it?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Mopac my pics are in a file in my computer. Usually when I post a pic to an email I just click on the paper clip shown which brings up all my pics. I then click on the file I want that has the needed pics. From there all I do is find the pic I want, click on it and it then transfers to the email as a pic number to be opened by the receiver. In this case all looked well, that is browser search boxes came up, I clicked on them one at a time, which then took me to my file of pics as usual. The chosen pics were transferred to the MTF site. I just don't know how to get them from where they are to the forum and when/how to add text. I expected to see a link to the forum where I could add text and then transfer the pics and text to the proper place.
I think if I had clicked on "Post Reply" as you say, I might have had success because all of what you said sounds normal procedure. Now I need to get them from the MTF "Images in category: Member layputs" where the pics are now. Maybe I should just start all over again.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
AmFlyer my picture files are up loaded to the section called "Images in category: Member layouts". How do I get them out of there and out into the forum? They are not on an SD card.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Uploading pictures

Mopac , let's say I start all over again. My pics were downloaded from my Android into a folder in my computer. I have no SD card.

I just downloaded again using the steps you listed. I now have a downloaded list of pics after clicking upload as you said. I now have pictures in the "Current attachments" section but I don't see a second paper clip.

1 - 20 of 551 Posts