Model Train Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 2176 Posts

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,041
I would have very little Flyer stuff without ebay. I have no good train shops, no good train shows around here. I would rather hold and see items in person before buying. Its just not possible for me. I get things from ebay that are not what I thought they were but over all I have had good luck on ebay. I forget the Flyer number but I want one of those Gulf oil depots. I have not been able to get a nice one for a price I will pay. I was watching
one last week I liked. It was hanging around 30.00 ( my price range) and then shoots to almost 100.00. To my knowledge they don't do anything. 100.00 for an item that does not do anything is out of my price range. I will get one, its just going to take some time.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
That is a 768G you want. The most recent guide says the Shell sells for $113 and the Gulf for $170, both in excellent condition. I wanted a Gulf but bought a Shell. Even back in 1990 when I bought it the Gulf’s were expensive.
I bought most of my collection before there was an eBay.
Here is a picture of the 768 on a layout.

FCB3CC4E-23B3-45D0-9B55-5F31E51C09F9.jpeg

·
Registered
489 Posts
My layout is 5 feet wide by 15 feet long cant go any bigger but i was thinking i could add a 1x 9 board to go around on top. Originally it was 5 feet x 10 feet. The larger mountain was originally a winter mountain so iam right know painting the trees. Waiting for hobby shop to reopen so i can by the grass to spread on and other things. Thankyou.

Al

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,045
I just can not figure why the oil depots are so expensive. They are just a base, 2 tanks just like the ones on the tank cars, and a hut, and a little piping. What am I missing. Maybe I should destroy 2 tank cars and build my own depot. What else does the depot do except sit there quietly? I think the tanks should be bigger. The tanks are even numbered the same as tanks on the cars. LOL, I hate bugs, but I would rather eat a bug than pay 100.00
or more for a depot. I guess I will not have one. I can live with that. That's when you get in trouble, wanting something so bad you will pay anything.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It is nice to have will power, or is it won't power? I think the price is as always, supply and demand. The 768G is listed with a rarity of 3+, so they do not show up in Ex condition very often. The Shell is listed as a 3, but there are more buyers who want the Gulf variation. You are correct, it does nothing but gather dust, not even a light on it.
Good thing you do not want a Boys at the Crossing display like I did. That acquisition was a display of my will power, the will to pay whatever it took.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Like you mopac, I too have my price limit. I have always wanted a Shell or a Gulf too. I have never seen them sell for what I consider a decent price. Seems always over $100 for just average and more for Exc. or LN, if they show up. I have never figured out why except supply and demand. Like Tom said, it sounds like you got more Won't Power. Same with me. Just a dust gatherer but we seem to want one though.

Kenny

·
Registered
677 Posts
My Photo of the day is a discovery in my endeavors to clean up under my layout. My layout top is 4 feet across as is the shelving under it so plenty of shelf space in
AF 5-24-2020 017.jpg
AF 5-24-2020 020.jpg
4' x 18' on 2 sides to get stuff shoved to the back way too many times and forgotten about. It is especially aggravating when the guy who put the stuff on those shelves with only the label "AF" or "Flyer Stuff" on the boxes and no more information years ago or in some cases, no label, was me. In the last 10 years or so I have a better labeling system. I also have an inventory list.....well sort of. Ya gotta keep it up to date. So another list is in progress. All were found together. I have been watching for a 300 with the indented side tender for some time. I knew I had another 300 somewhere but didn't remember it being the indented tender version. Glad I didn't buy one of the ones I have seen. Except for the 633, all the truck springs are not very well defined so the dies must have been worn out when they were stamped.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It is hard to tell from the picture but the lettering on the 300 and tender appears white. If so it would be a 1947 with a thick shank coupler. If the lettering is silver it can be either 1946 or 1947, the coupler would indicate production year. Nice to find out you already had one. I have no indented tenders in my collection.
Years ago I replaced all the cardboard boxes with transparent plastic storage tubs. I can at least see the type of things inside and they stack well. Keeps everything clean and they are not attractive to cardboard and glue feeding insects.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Kenny, if you buy a nice Gulf Oil Supply Depot then you may decide you need a couple of the 773 Gulf logo Oil Derricks to go with it. That would not be good. Current guide price for the ones with the Gulf logo Is $775! Rarity listing for them is 5.
Much better to just do what I did. Buy some cheap plastic storage tank models, paint them white with Gulf logo decals.

6A1B7480-532C-4D82-B5CD-BF37AFE44BF9.jpeg

·
Registered
677 Posts
Great score
It is hard to tell from the picture but the lettering on the 300 and tender appears white. If so it would be a 1947 with a thick shank coupler. If the lettering is silver it can be either 1946 or 1947, the coupler would indicate production year. Nice to find out you already had one. I have no indented tenders in my collection.
Years ago I replaced all the cardboard boxes with transparent plastic storage tubs. I can at least see the type of things inside and they stack well. Keeps everything clean and they are not attractive to cardboard and glue feeding insects.
Tom the tender lettering is white. With that indention on the side I think it may be a challenge to re-letter. I'm thinking dry rub for when I get to restoring the 300. Unfortunately the link coupler is broken off right at the pin so not much of a chance of using that for ID.
I have a lot of those clear plastic storage bins. Mine are a frame and straight sided drawer assembly design so I can pull the bins out. They are also designed to stack. I don't think they are available in that square sided design any more. I've seen some similar but have a curved front. I bought those from K-MART. The bad news is they are all filled with 2000 Hot Wheels and Matchbox left over from the days when I was buying and selling that stuff. I should take all that stuff out and put my Flyer collection in them. Still hoping to unload all the Hot Wheels and Matchbox.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Kenny, if you buy a nice Gulf Oil Supply Depot then you may decide you need a couple of the 773 Gulf logo Oil Derricks to go with it. That would not be good. Current guide price for the ones with the Gulf logo Is $775! Rarity listing for them is 5.
Much better to just do what I did. Buy some cheap plastic storage tank models, paint them white with Gulf logo decals.

View attachment 543107
Nice looking Tom. I have 4, 4" PVC pipe pieces that I used. In some of my postings they are visible in the back ground along with my Lionel 455 Sunoco pumping oil derrick. As far as the 773 Gulf logo Oil Derricks go, I wanted a couple but price has stopped me. I just looked in my Greenberg's and saw the $775 figure! I guess I will stay with the 455. There are 3 variations of it as well but none come up to the $775 price. Are those Gulf oil tanks a set that I can buy from a vender?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
They were an HO kit model, I do not recall the brand at the moment, they were listed in the Walthers catalog.
Since the lettering is white the 300 is a 1947 and would have had a thick shank, no weight coupler. The coupler pins are different for the thin or thick shank couplers so if the pin is still present that will work for identification.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I promised Mopac I would look for my 5312T set. Imagine my surprise when it was in the first place I looked! I decided to post it in this thread so it will not get lost. I also decided to do what Mopac does and take the pictures outside.
The set box label has the legible set number, the set box from GAIR is dated 1953 and is the reported box number. Next is all the paper included in the set and the manual uncoupler. The boxes for the cars and the wrapper for the engine are shown.
The cars make a great consist, they all have the longer 3 spring trucks And the Gulf tank car is the correct 625G version for 1953.
The engine is interesting. It is the 5 wire with red glowing smoke but it has the thin letter, sans serif AFL stamping rather than the thick letter sans serif AF stamping on the 1953 302 I posted earlier today in the other thread. I did some looking under the shell and found the date stamp, DEC 52. The factory made thIs 5 wire version of the 302 in DEC and apparently stockpiled some for inclusion in the 1953 sets. The only reported variation with AFL has silver lettering, not white, so this seems to be an unreported variation.

83EB6AD3-FA21-4B3E-99F6-4766C6DCD3F2.jpeg
462291E9-AB2E-4970-B04F-22B2B7674476.jpeg
4454E16B-B87D-40B6-A083-F782A2F4450F.jpeg
B2DF1A6A-C939-4945-A49A-1FF759759BBC.jpeg
CF9A1B65-AF72-4E7F-8CF8-E903D55112E9.jpeg
0417D354-CBD1-444D-A90B-97A351FEC3D7.jpeg
98C61FDB-37B3-46BB-B405-347AC8D793D8.jpeg

2041 - 2060 of 2176 Posts