Model Train Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2169 Posts

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,062 (Edited)
Nice 5312T Tom. Excited to get mine. Even though I am getting the wrong engine. Your box looks a lot better. I will pick up correct loco some day. Seller said the transformer was missing but he was sending one. I have no idea which one he is sending. I can use it as some testing power. Seller said box was rough so you know it is. The label looks good. I
am not a cardboard collector so we shall see what I do with box. The cardboard for these
old sets is getting old. It just rots after a while. Great to see some of your outdoor pics.

I do not think I am getting an engine wrapper.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Continuing the series of posts about engines and matching cabooses we have a caboose in search of a matching engine. The caboose is an Erie in the maroon and gray color scheme. On the layout there are two Erie steam engines, a light Pacific and a Berkshire. The caboose usually rides behind one of them. There are three diesels as well in the maroon/gray colors but the colors are reversed to match the passenger car scheme.
Here they are, a Legacy U33, a TMCC Trainmaster, and a TMCC E8. The E8 is not a candidate because it is assigned to passenger train duty.

DF05F5D6-A5DD-43D5-9EF5-F8ED9F7B3EA3.jpeg
82188CAC-AEB8-4C0A-80D9-55F172E82F5E.jpeg
1D85099E-B503-436E-A647-CAC7FD2E44E7.jpeg
441C25BB-5061-4D52-806F-C614CF1174B9.jpeg
A6C95421-743F-46BC-915D-5AA03D6DBB25.jpeg

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have dug out some more packed away cars for today's post. Making progress in my reorganization using those clear plastic bins that I already have instead of using boxes, most of which I never labeled. I was especially glad to find the 1996 TTOS Western Pacific. It is on my inventory list but haven't been able to find it. The three cars shown are new, never out of their boxes.

Tom I checked my MKT yellow car like mopac has and it is not a painted version. Of course not.

Kenny

New AF Cars 5-31-20 036.jpg

·
Registered
673 Posts
The REA Reefer should go on the layout. They look good and work with any railroad. Might keep the WP in the OB for now.
Yes I have had the same thoughts about the REA reefer. Just can't force myself to take it out yet. I'm sure I will though.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,070 (Edited)
Nice cars Kenny. Very funny, I got a REA reefer car in my mailbox today. I have wanted one since Tom showed his. Mine is a 1993 NASG commemorative reefer. 6-48481. Got it for 19.99 plus shipping. A good price I think. Never out of box. Unrun. Quickly becoming one of my favorite boxcar/reefer.

IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0731.JPG

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,071
Not sure why I am buying all these cars. A Gilbert steamer can only pull 3 to 5 cars without spinning
the drivers. Would be cool if they could pull 20 to 30 cars. Pulmor wheels would be the only chance
and I have very few of them.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
My 322AC pulls 10 cars on flat track, no issue. None are the heavy diecast flats like a crane car. Even the 370 will pull five to seven freights or four HW passenger cars. wonder what is going on.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,074 (Edited)
LOL, I have not tried many on a Hudson. Mainly a 282 (plastic body) or a 302 (plastic body). Old cars that I had not cleaned the axles and wheels. My fault. So I got a good REA. Thanks for info. I love it. Like you say, it will go with anything. I think I got my 928 flat car settled. Seller was hoping whoever he sent it to would stand up and tell him. I told him I doubt that would happen, so he settled up today. He sent me a message saying he was going to refund all my money. 27.00 something plus shipping. I sent him a message saying I did not want to take advantage of the situation, just refund me 17.00. He told me to keep all the cars. I went back to the auction and he had already refunded all the money. I will buy more of his cars and pay too much. I had not heard from him for 2 days and I was getting a little perturbed. He made it right. I will get pics in a few minutes of the cars I did get.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You got some nice cars their Mopac. Even the 24030 looks ok out in the sunlight.
It makes a big difference if all the wheels are clean and the axles well lubricated. To be fair though, my 322AC was pulling the cars on 30"R track, SHS sectional. I am not sure if there is any difference in adhesion between the Gilbert steel track and the SHS NS solid rail track.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Nice cars mopac. That REA car looks fine!

Tom now that I see you put your cars out on your layout and your reasoning for doing so makes me think. That REA car sure stands out. Mine have never been hidden but in one of my glass show cases with 25 others. The casual visitor, which are few, would probably care less. So why am I leaving them in the case? I just won a new 6-48485 1994 NASG Northern Pacific box car on eBay. All in it was $42.51. Actually it was a "Buy It Now" deal. I didn't buy it because it was a new NASG box car. I just liked the looks of it! No other reason. That makes 2 wins now. Greenberg says $74. Actual car cost was $31.99. That was the other reason I bought it.
I will post it when I get it.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Mopac (and other interested readers), we were commenting yesterday about how many cars a stock Gilbert link coupler engine could pull. I was bored after lunch today so I decided to run a test with a 1953 5 wire 302 steam engine. I already knew my 322AC Hudson would easily pull 10 freight cars around my office floor test track. Said test track was taken apart so the cleaning crew could vacuum my office.
I happen to have a 14 car freight sitting on Line 2 of my layout. I added a coupler transition car and coupled on the 302 to the resulting 15 car freight. I also put 25 drops of smoke fluid in the stack. Line 2 looks level in the pictures but that is because a 15’, 2.3% grade is hidden in a long tunnel.
The 302 took off, smoking like crazy but it was on a 1% downgrade. It leveled off over the river bridge, entered the tunnel and started up the 2.3% grade, slowing down a bit. Near the top the wheels were slipping but the train continued moving along. The wheel spin stopped as soon as the engine was on level track and the train then made 4 loops of the 80’ long loop Without issue. The transformer was around 1/2 throttle, maybe 2/3rds. I must disclose that only the transition car was a Gilbert. The other 14 are a mix of AM and SHS cars. These are more free rolling but heavier. That helps on the level but hurts on the upgrade.
So there is hope for running longer trains with well lubed rolling stock. Here are two pictures, one the engine smoking and moving just after it reached level track, the other stopped on a 1% downgrade. The train is so long I could not get the last four cars in the picture.

5119934C-D245-4DD8-AD2D-E4E44018B587.jpeg
CE793566-CCDF-42B9-B6D6-379CDFEA9340.jpeg

2061 - 2080 of 2169 Posts