Model Train Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 2176 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
The scan worked. I would like to attend another S Fest but it will not be this year.
I can't make it to Milwaukee this year either. As mopac says, it will probably be cancelled anyway because of the virus. I hope next year it will be back in Tinley Park. I am going to order one each of those hoppers though.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,122
Kenny, thanks. I think it is a nice car. Not sure but I am thinking Lionel's newer cars have plastic trucks.
This one has metal truck. It is one of Lionel's earliest endeavors into American Flyer - 1981.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,123
I just now went to see the S Fest hoppers. Very nice. LOL, too nice for me.
I can't decide which I like best, the orange or the grey.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here is my contribution for the day. These have never been on my layout. I do have others like these on the layout in average condition. The painted stripe car is new. The decal version has very little run time. The wheels show very little track wear. No the couplers are not rusted. That's the way the picture came out.

Kenny
6-10-20 AF pics 003.jpg

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,125
I like the GAEX car. I have one of it. Mine is in below average condition. Decal stripe. Rusty door guides. For some reason my stripes have been removed. You can see they were there.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Interesting how the painted stripe is at a different angle than the decal. I never looked at the two versions side by side like this. I have two 622's sitting on my credenza here in the office. Each car has the decal positioned slightly different, but the position of the decal is the same on the two sides of each car. Not worth thinking about I suppose.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Tom I have two other decal cars and all seem to be the same angle. I got one other painted stripe car that is a different angle as you mentioned. These cars are layout cars and are fair to average condition. I bought them in that condition so they would appear well used on my layout. The stripe car can be used in a consist and the two decal cars are "scene" cars.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Coming back to the green GAEX boxcar stripes I thought I would post a picture of the three 622’s I am using on the layout. The stripe on the top car was installed with a curve, possibly so it missed overlapping any of the lettering. Both sides have the decal installed in an identical manner. On the lower two cars the decals are straight but positioned in a slightly different place on the car. The bottom car has some of the stamped lettering blocked by the decal, it is also one of my transition cars. All three have three spring trucks.
I concur I need to stop looking at all these meaningless variations. I took the picture outside this time. The paint is identical on all three cars, the light reflecting off the white granite counter top makes the cars closer to the counter look paler.

1094F04D-C414-4A64-A1DA-BEFDC1E68482.jpeg

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Moving on past the random variations I have some pictures I have delayed posting. I have been looking for my 497 NH PA and 499 HH electric to pull the passenger cars. Regrettably I have so far failed to locate them. Here are the pictures, they feature the New Haven McGinnis colors. The passenger train is American Models heavyweights with all cars converted to three axle heavyweight trucks. Too bad I did not have the siding power turned on for the picture. This train is usually pulled by an AM Pacific that was converted to TMCC. There is also an ALCO RS-3 and a Baldwin S-12, but these only get freight assignments. There is a Trainmaster in pre-McGinnis green/yellow colors that pulls the coaches as well. The 499 would be perfect if only I had located it. Also some other fun engines and cars a visible in the yards. Note how big the scale length Big Boy is.

5995702E-C52E-40CB-80B2-ED2427BCF7E2.jpeg
169A44A0-3F8F-4681-9EA9-EE6261ECF308.jpeg
1E681DA8-1A60-45B4-8BDF-6987BE9B3F14.jpeg
A6C1E41F-7415-47E7-A68A-BFA2CA40C8AB.jpeg

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,137
I got a nice green 650 coach in the mail box yesterday. Very happy with it. I assume it is
from 1948. Has brass weighted couplers. I do not know if all 650s has diecast chassis
but this one does. When I get another coach I will get a pic of the passenger consist with
an engine. I might use my 282 I have had for 65 years to pull the consist. Tom, 3 coaches
would be nice but I think I will just use 2 plus the baggage car. My 282 slips her drivers
real easy.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
1946 production 650's used plastic chassis that warped. 1947 and 1948 were all diecast. From 1949 through 1953 both diecast and sheet metal chassis were used. The diecast are nicer because they have steps and some visible underbody detail.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,139
Thanks for info Tom. I do prefer the diecast chassis. Like you say better steps and underbody detail.
I guess they are all lighted.

2121 - 2140 of 2176 Posts