Model Train Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 2259 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nice cant wait to see it i have the other one 926 not sure exact number last night went to ck numbet on mine to see if it was like yours it wasnt. I have the stock yard. Have to replace pads on some cows. Good luck.

Al

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,184
Mine has a single door on each side. I have seen the double doors. Not many. The double doors might
be an action car, not sure.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,186
Well, I was wrong about if diecast frame, no warpage. My new car does indeed have some roof warpage.
Those MoPac cars seem to have a problem with warpage. Too late now. I just did not see it till now. It is
the open slat version. I just assumed diecast frame there would be no problem with warpage. My warpage
is not terrble but for sure in it.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The 629 open slat cars almost always have some waviness in the roof. That is different than the car warpage (bowing) with plastic frames. The open slat cars are nice to have, mine has a very slight waviness in the roof.
The link coupler operating stockyard cars with a door on each end are 736's.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
In the evening my wife has been watching all the Christmas in July movies on the Hallmark channels. At least she records them first so the 30 minutes of commercials in the two hour shows can be skipped. In the same spirit of Christmas in July I thought I would post a couple of pictures of my Christmas Layout from 1998. These are from the hundreds and hundreds of pictures I have yet to scan so I just took pictures of the prints with my iPhone.
In the first picture note I had a 325AC on duty in place of the usual 322AC. Those with sharp eyes will notice the non Gilbert interloper, an American Models New Haven RS3. The second picture looks across to the 6 track yard. The third is a night shot along the front street of the Snow Village buildings.
If you count there are 13 Gilbert operating/illuminated accessories visible in just these three views, not counting the track switches and uncouplers. In retrospect I am astounded at how much work I put into these layouts each year for 30 days of use.

0DDF6382-3EDE-4F8B-9D8C-E60EC5A5C3E3.jpeg
7CD1AAFA-E709-4C4F-B045-43A5C2046F13.jpeg
0D3E2B5D-E7C1-4801-ADB3-A5B7D17F780E.jpeg

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,191
Wow. Thanks for showing. Yes, lots of work there. I think night shots are my favorite. I love
the lights. You are a true American Flyer fan. Did any of those buildings end up on your big
layout?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Al, if you keep adding cars you will need to build some additional yard trackage. That Western Electric PRR car is much less common than the ones with the yellow AF reels.
Mopac and Al, I always enjoyed creating and building those layouts. Each year's was different from the previous year. I have not built a Chistmas layout since I got the large permanent layout (4 years) but I think I will do one this year. I do not have a good overhead look down picture of the 1998 layout. As I recall there were almost 30 Snow Village ceramic buildings on it. It was tricky to get them all arranged into a logical three square blocks of a city. They really looked good at night with all the building lights.
When I started planning my permanent layout I was going to incorporate some Snow village, I have almost 100 of them, and some Gilbert items. As my thinking evolved over several years I gradually ended up with a completely scale layout. No Snow Village or Gilbert accessories. Part of the reasoning was a scale layout was what I wanted plus I have a 9'x13' space in my office set aside for a semi-permanent pure Gilbert layout that would use some of the Snow Village. I have not made much progress on it other than select the track plan and use Gilbert turnouts with GarGraves Flex track rather than Gilbert sectional. Another project I have not done!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thankyou. I really no more room . i thought of building up but if i have to work on the inside it would be difficult but iam still thinking of it i like collecting certain ones iam still looking to buy magnetic crane and the the coal crane one. My other ones like to get is the circus engine have a bid on one now. And one day like to get a 4 8 2 . one day.
I enjoy your layout and good luck with your future ones oh my layout know is 5'x 15'.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,196
Al, those MoPac cars look great. The Western Electric reel car is very cool.

Tom, I have many unfinished projects. Not just trains. Probably the day I get them all done will be my last in this world. I do not want to leave them all undone. So I can not go yet.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Tom very nice Christmas layout you had there in 1998. Even though it looks like you did indeed put in a lot of work, the results were well worth it.

Mopac and Al I am going to have to dig out my cattle cars. Don't remember which ones I have. I do know I have a double door 976 version like you show Al. I don't have an open slat 629 since all I have ever found were all warped which I have since learned was normal. I have 4 cattle pens with different color mats and both blue and green metal bases but all are packed away. The main reason is because I bought all those cattle pens without cows. My thinking back when I bought them was the cows would be no big deal to buy. Boy was I wrong! Those things aren't cheap! I am though so I got a problem paying $20 a head for them. $100??

Nice woodwork there Al. I also like that Western Electric 936. That is on my want list.

Kenny

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thankyou guys the pads for the cows aren't cheap either mine came with the cows. Couple pads r coming off. Were i picked up the western electric he had a one or two 629 missouri pacific might go back. To buy.

Al

2181 - 2200 of 2259 Posts