Model Train Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 2259 Posts

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,201
LOL, you need to stay out of those train shops. I think I may have bought too many cars.
More than I can use on a layout. Some how I bought a MoPac cattle car at a train show
and did not notice one of the sliding doors was missing. Very careless. I have a few junk
cars I will steal a door from. It will not be correct color but I see that on real railroads. This
is how I ended up with too many cars, I like unit trains, like all coal cars, or all tank cars.
Gilbert never did this in their sets. I notice Kenny likes unit trains also.

·
Registered
715 Posts
LOL, you need to stay out of those train shops. I think I may have bought too many cars.
More than I can use on a layout. Some how I bought a MoPac cattle car at a train show
and did not notice one of the sliding doors was missing. Very careless. I have a few junk
cars I will steal a door from. It will not be correct color but I see that on real railroads. This
is how I ended up with too many cars, I like unit trains, like all coal cars, or all tank cars.
Gilbert never did this in their sets. I notice Kenny likes unit trains also.
Yep sure do Mopac.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I run a unit coal train because the layout is set in western Pa. They were a common sight. You all bring up a point about tank cars. I have enough in my collection to make a long unit train but it just never occurred to me to do it. I suppose I should give it a try. I do run long all boxcar trains but I do not think that counts as a unit train.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I took a (halfhearted) look this afternoon into some of my storage crates to get some additional tank cars. I was planning to make a unit tank car train and take some pictures. I only found one, added to the 5 on the layout it does not make much of a unit train. I will postpone this until I can get into some more of the storage crates.
I did find three items of interest so here are some pictures. The first is a 6-pack carton of 23025 boxes that each hold a dozen smoke cartridges. These master cartons show up once in a while.
The second item is a box of three 749 Boulevard Lamps. Each lamp is in its own box as shown. Many of you have these street lights on your layouts.
The third item is a 985 Boston and Maine Boxcar in its original boxed that is stamped 24042. This car was made in 1757 only. 1957 was the first year of the 5 digit number system but like many 1957 items the car has an old 3 digit number and only the box has the new 5 digit number. The B&M was made as a 5 digit car in 1958 through 1960, the number was 24043. In 1961 it was numbered 24056 and most were unpainted plastic. It’s final appearance was in 1963 as the 24059.

E676DBE9-123E-408B-B527-283DB8CEFB91.jpeg
C1FDB125-585E-4883-B5A4-04990E723A7A.jpeg
B26B77BB-0706-40D2-B3D5-10BC15871A42.jpeg

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,210
Nice stuff Tom. Thanks for the pics. Those 749 lamps go for a bundle on ebay. Too much
for me.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Thanks. The boxed set of 748 street lights was one of my better purchases. These are NIB, never used, purchased in March of 1997 at the DuPage train show for $25.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thanks. The boxed set of 748 street lights was one of my better purchases. These are NIB, never used, purchased in March of 1997 at the DuPage train show for $25.
Nice "crispy" boxes not too mention the contents, Boston & Main box car and those street lights. Sure do wish the DuPage show would come back.
Who knows when. As of today our governor has decided to add more rules to social distancing and what kinds of venues can be open. Train shows are not essential. I guess he means well.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The B&M boxcar was a bit more. It is LN in the OB with a 5 digit stamp on the box. The car appears to never have been run. I bought it August of 2000 at DuPage for $165. About what it is worth today in LN condition with the correct OB.
I hope within a year this virus risk can be mitigated so we can travel and attend train shows. I was planning to attend S Fest this year but that is not possible.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,216
Nice 302 Al. The metal handrails are nice. I have 2 or 3 of those. Made in 1948.
I bought 2 from flyernut. I like the high mounted headlight. And of coarse the diecast body.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,218
Tom, you showed those smoke cartridges. I remember using those red cartridges in 1955. My dad picked them up somewhere for my 282. I also remember going through them pretty quickly. My dad did not buy more. He started using 3 in 1 oil for smoke fluid. It actually worked. I finally rebuilt the smoke unit a couple years ago. The
wick was nasty from using the oil. The 282 remained unrun from 1957 till about 2017. It is now one of my best running locomotives. In 1957 it started running poorly and the motor getting very hot. Almost every year I took it apart and put it back together hoping the problem was solved. It never happened till I bought a parts chassis
and started changing parts. It had a bad armature. It checked out good but it wasn't. Like I said it is now a great runner and smoke unit has a lionel resistor in it. The motor runs as cool as can be.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The smoke fluid refill cartridges had two things working against them. Most parents did not care for the haze and smell of the smoke. Second, they could be expensive. To keep a steam engine smoking took a lot of cartidges, like one every 30 minutes of running. Those thin boxes that hold a dozen red cartridges retailed for $1, that is equivalent to about $15 today.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Nice 302 Al. The metal handrails are nice. I have 2 or 3 of those. Made in 1948.
I bought 2 from flyernut. I like the high mounted headlight. And of coarse the diecast body.
I too like those handrails. When I was buying steam locomotives that is all I would buy. I do have some non-rail engines, but they are not my preferred versions.

Kenny

2201 - 2220 of 2259 Posts