Model Train Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 2259 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
The B&M boxcar was a bit more. It is LN in the OB with a 5 digit stamp on the box. The car appears to never have been run. I bought it August of 2000 at DuPage for $165. About what it is worth today in LN condition with the correct OB.
I hope within a year this virus risk can be mitigated so we can travel and attend train shows. I was planning to attend S Fest this year but that is not possible.
I ordered the two 2020 S Fest Milwaukee Road hoppers a month ago since I too cannot attend either but have yet to receive a conformation. Tried emailing them not too mention calling to no avail. From reading the order form I have, delivery won't be until after the the S Fest date of Nov. 6-8. I thought I would at least get a conformation. They must be working with a reduced staff with things as they are in today's world. Patients is the best thing I think.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
When I bought cars and attended the Fest the confirmation was part of the registration. I recall buying cars and not registering for the Fest. I think the only way I knew the order status was the charge to my CC.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I know what you mean about the wire handrails. Newer ones have 5 wire connections and red glowing smoke with long 3 spring trucks. The wire handrail 1948’s look so much better plus more detail in the rods and valve gear.

1AF3B9F3-B9B5-439C-B474-433D5B39D0B0.jpeg
45010875-1121-498C-93C5-8E3FE5E71346.jpeg

·
Registered
715 Posts
Tom I agree with your comment regarding the valve gear details on the 1948's. That's another reason I prefer the rails only versions. I think I have 3 302's like the one you show plus 3 with the rails. I'd have to check. 302's have been my favorite of that series of Atlantics even though they all look pretty much the same.

Kenny

·
Registered
715 Posts
When I bought cars and attended the Fest the confirmation was part of the registration. I recall buying cars and not registering for the Fest. I think the only way I knew the order status was the charge to my CC.
Yes you are correct regarding S Fest confirmation being part of the registration. I don't have a credit card(s) anymore and won't expose my debit card number even though it can be used as a credit card so I paid with a check which they will accept. That check hasn't cleared my bank yet so I assume, (a bad thing), they haven't come across my order yet. I hope.

Kenny

·
Registered
715 Posts
Mopac here are my cattle cars. As can be seen, the 629 and the 736, 771 Cattle Pen operating car, have both been converted to KC's. The 629 is a plastic based car. While not too clear in the photos, the spring coils are not stamped clearly on the link cars indicating that they were stamped with worn dies.
Now if I only had some of those high priced cattle. I did find 3 but no felt bottoms plus they all look like they got scurvy. To all you city slickers, that's a livestock condition that makes the cattle lose some of their hair among other things I won't go into.

Kenny

Cattle cars 7-26-20 006.jpg
929 cattle car 017.jpg
Cattle cars 7-26-20 018.jpg
Cattle cars 7-26-20 037.jpg

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,229
Kenny, thanks for showing your MoPac cattle cars. Very nice. I got my new 629 today.
It was a shocker to me. In the pics the frame looked to be diecast. Its not. It is plastic.
I did not know some had plastic. Roof is bowed some. Such is life on ebay sometimes.
The car is in very nice condition. At least no corrosion on frame. It is an open slat. I
found the other 629 I had. It is closed slat. It has a diecast frame. Kinda strange AF had 3 different frames. Make up your mind. Rainy and cloudy today, no pics.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
A plastic chassis is 1946 only, they will bow. It should have type 1 thin shank couplers on it. Almost all 1946 have silver rather than white lettering. A few were tuscan painted rather than unpainted plastic. All are worth about $20.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,231
Couplers are thin shank (no weight). Lettering looks white to me. It is unpainted. A tuscan would be cool. It might be my only 1946 car. I paid 15.00
plus 5.00 shipping. So not in it too deep. My 2 629s will look nice running together. Thanks for info.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,232
I went to Gilbert Gallery. They mention diecast and sheet metal frames. Nothing about plastic.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That is an unfortunate omission on their part. The plastic frame 629's are common, usually bought by people looking to complete a 1946 set. Some operators avoid them because often the frames are warped.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
I also like the coal trains.. I have approx 15 hoppers with various road names I pull with my Big Boy or Allegheny in O scale.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My frame does not appear bowed, just the roof a bit.
I remember buying my 629 because the plastic frame was good and the roof wasn't bowed. A big surprise. I was looking for a die cast version since I knew about the plastic issue. I only paid $8 for it at a train show. The seller said that since it was a KC conversion and plastic frame he'd give me a deal plus he said he was tired of never selling it. I have thought about getting the die cast and sheet metal versions. Sometimes I like getting all versions of a particular car or engine. Not too sure about spending money on those open slat bowed cars though. Prices are too much on eBay. Mopac I think based on what I have seen on eBay you got yours at a good price.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,239
It has been light rain and clouds here the last 4 days. I will try to get pics of my 2 629s sunday.
I don't mind light rain but not for pics. I finally bought an American Flyer 50th anniversary boxcar.
I thought they were nice. And I bought another rerailer in box. missed the auction on the 650 I
wanted. No one bought it so seller relisted. Not sure why no one bought it. Its nice. Hope I don't
miss it again. I just do not bid early.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have 2 650 red new haven willing to part with one if you r interested. If you r i will take pic and make me and offer. Sorry mistake have 3. Offer stands.

Al

2221 - 2240 of 2259 Posts