Model Train Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 2263 Posts

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,244
Here are my 2 629 MoPac cattle cars. The one on the left is a 1946 open slat with plastc chasiss.
The one on the right is a closed slat with diecast chassis. I have no idea of year. No boxes for either.
Still not a good day for pics. Cloudy and overcast. Did rain some this morning.

IMG_0762.JPG

Got this next car in mailbox today. 15.00 plus shipping. I like the car. 50th aniversary of American Flyer. 1946 - 1996. I like the white car with red roof. I jumped a little quick on this one. If anyone wants one, there are 2 or 3 more on ebay right now. They are at 10.00 plus shipping and I doubt they go much, if any, higher. Mine is unrun but box is rough. Seller stated that. The box has gotten wet and it did a job on it. I might throw the
box away. I am not a cardboard collector.

IMG_0763.JPG

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mopac, that open slat 629 doesn't look too bad. Nice sharp lettering and the distortion isn't too bad either. I would say, considering the ones I have seen in the past, you did alright. I have one of those 50th anniversary cars that I bought new. I posted it a long time ago. It is a glass case resident in my collection.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,247
Kenny, the lettering is really good on the open slat. I got fooled by the ebay pics. I really
thought the chassis was diecast. The plastic ones have the same detail as the diecast.
Distorted roof is there but it will be fine. Overall it is a nice car. I am about done buying cars.
I have many more than I can use. I certainly do not have all cars Gilbert made but enough.
A glass display would be nice. I do not even have a layout to display trains on.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mopac I am in kind of the same situation. Got plenty of cars but by no means all that I want. Gotta stay off eBay although I haven't been on there for the last couple of months buying. Just looking. I do have a good size layout but I don't want to crowd the over all look with too many cars so I store the rest. That is how I got into the situation of forgetting what I have or can't find something. I had to do a reorganization and inventory count. That is a work in progress. Still not done.
I have 3 glass display cases full. Not really big. They each hold about 20 of my nice "display only" cars depending on car length.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,249
Thats alot of cars on display. I had a good inventory list. But I did not update as I bought
more, so it is worthless right now. I don't even know what locomotives I have. Not long
ago I bought a 326 Hudson because I didn't think I had one. Wrong. I found one. A good
inventory list avoids things like that.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yeah a good inventory list is handy. Like you, when I bought new stuff I didn't add them to my inventory list so that list was basically useless. That and buying cars from eBay that I already have is what prompted the start of the list over haul and replacing cardboard boxes with see through Sterlite containers. Plus everything done so far has labels as to contents. Something else I failed to do before. I don't think having a spare 326 Hudson is a bad thing provided you didn't over pay for it.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,251
I did not over pay for the second 326 but I did not steal it. They are both very nice paint and lettering. In fact I can not decide which one to keep. They are that close in condition. That was something I had to get used to ,when I got into American Flyer. The same road numbers. In HO that is a No No. I have over 130 HO locomotives, over 500 rolling stock. 99.9% have different road numbers. Gilbert did not do that. If you have a 640 coal hopper.
all like cars have 640 for a road number. I am getting used to it so 2 engines with same road number should be no big deal. Its just a mind set.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
New S gauge offerings from Lionel, AM and MTH are now made with multiple numbers of the same car. That is why I have so many coal hoppers, they were offered with 5 different numbers. I bought all 5 number variations in Bessemer and Lake Erie and all 5 in Erie. I have two new Santa Fe U36's because Lionel offers them in two different road numbers. I have two new Legacy Berkshires rather than one on order thanks to this. An entirely new opportunity to spend money!
Back to Gilbert, I have 27 633's. Most are different variations of painted vs unpainted, color, chassis type, truck type, reefer vs boxcar and stamping variation on the OB. Five are part of sets vs separate purchase. Plenty of totally rational reasons to have more than one Gilbert car with the same number! I see no issue with owning two 326 Hudsons, the ultimate manifestation of my favorite steam engine.
An inventory list is essential for me. My wife maintains it and I refer to it frequently. When I returned from a train show the new acquisitions had to stay on the DR table until she had the marked up inventory list. On new orders when she sees the charge on the card bill that triggers the addition to the inventory list.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Having two nice 326 Hudson's and having to decide which one to keep would be a hard decision. What I would do is run one my layout, which I do, and display the other. Since I love Hudson's, that is what I would do. Deciding which 326 to keep to me would be like picking which of your kids is your favorite. Now if you had a glass case that would be the place to put the extra one. If you had a case.

·
Registered
719 Posts
New S gauge offerings from Lionel, AM and MTH are now made with multiple numbers of the same car. That is why I have so many coal hoppers, they were offered with 5 different numbers. I bought all 5 number variations in Bessemer and Lake Erie and all 5 in Erie. I have two new Santa Fe U36's because Lionel offers them in two different road numbers. I have two new Legacy Berkshires rather than one on order thanks to this. An entirely new opportunity to spend money!
Back to Gilbert, I have 27 633's. Most are different variations of painted vs unpainted, color, chassis type, truck type, reefer vs boxcar and stamping variation on the OB. Five are part of sets vs separate purchase. Plenty of totally rational reasons to have more than one Gilbert car with the same number! I see no issue with owning two 326 Hudsons, the ultimate manifestation of my favorite steam engine.
An inventory list is essential for me. My wife maintains it and I refer to it frequently. When I returned from a train show the new acquisitions had to stay on the DR table until she had the marked up inventory list. On new orders when she sees the charge on the card bill that triggers the addition to the inventory list.
Tom, Gilbert must have had some pretty savvy marketing people when they made so many variations of a given number. The average train runner probably didn't or doesn't care about color, painted or unpainted, chassis type, truck type, or box stamping variations. On the other hand, Gilbert surly knew that collectors would want all variations so they made many different variations to promote sales. Much like Mattel did and probably still does in their Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. I know that from my collecting, and selling days of those cars. Just when I thought I had one in every set, there would be a variation pop up. Cost me a lot of extra money. The up side was I could keep one and sell the newer variation which usually was a short run production or sell the whole set, which I did when I had more than one set. Great profit margin. Same with Gilbert. We all know how they produced so many uncatalogued variations with some being rarer than others thus a higher value and selling price. Like I said in the beginning, it is all about marketing and sales even 60+ years ago.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Whatever Gilbert did intentionally or accidentally it has caused me to spend more collecting.
Here is a modern S gauge example. Two wood side reefers by SHS that have unique numbers. One day I decided I wanted a wood side to run on the layout, when I saw two numbers I bought both.

C8EAFB11-1F4A-4A6E-9372-41DB85F612A0.jpeg
D589021B-30BB-44E6-AF38-547B73CD56F5.jpeg

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
If anyone wants a Hudson, I have one..Re-numbered 320.no smoke, no choo choo, a oval of nice track, and a 642, 632, and a 638...$100 bucks plus.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,260
I got a 650 passenger car in the mail today. Very nice condition except no glazing in windows.
I never see those for sale. The paper inside is so shiny it looks like the car has glass. I have some
nice plastic sheets I can cut some windows. I need to get some new paper for the insides so they
match. A while back flyernut said what kind of paper to use. I think Hobby Lobby has it. flyernut,
what is that paper called. I think I will use the 282 to pull the 3 car train. I got the 282 used when I
was 5 years old. 3 cars will be it, not because of power, but wheel slippage. That 282 has my strongest
motor. Its a rocket ship. But no grip.

IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0766.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG

2241 - 2260 of 2263 Posts