Model Train Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 2476 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,263
Al, I bought all 3 in last month.

Tom, yes, kinda screwed up. One in the middle is the new one. It is a sheet metal frame with
3 spring trucks. One on the right is 2 spring trucks. Diecast frame with steps. The difference is
not that big of a deal to me. I would only have to buy another car to get passenger cars to match.
The new one is probably the nicest. But no window glass. Could not tell in the pics and of coarse
seller did not disclose. He just said it was in excellent condtion.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
It's funny, but I put those 3 exact cars on my layout last night and ran them.Mine are the early ones with thin shank coupler and no weight. They run like crap, so back in the plastic tub they go,they kept uncoupling. One of my 312's was pulling them, and the engine had more than enough guts to pull them. In fact I have 3 of my 312's on my 3 loops.. The paper you're looking for is called "Newsprint"...#32 high bulk, white newsprint. It's not white,it's a light cream color, and it's a exact match for the original diffuser paper used by Gilbert... It's made by Pro Art, and it comes in a pad, 9"x12".I bought it at a craft store.. If you can't find it, I'll send you some....

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,266
I sent the seller of the passenger car a message informing him of the missing wndows.
He offered a full refund if I sent car back. I am pretty sure return shipping would have been on me.
I suggested a refund and I keep the car. Any way he is refunding me 10.00 and I come up with
some wndows and we are done. So I get the car for 15.00 plus shipping. I used to fashion
glass (plastic) for HO cabooses. I still have some plastic somewhere.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just a note of information regarding the deffuser paper. I have a roll of butcher paper that is an exact replica of the Gilbert original. I have had that paper for years so a roll will last who knows how long. I have used it in many passenger cars. Besides being the same off white or light cream color, it seems to be a tiny bit thicker or heavier. Makes for a nice fit. Sorry I don't remember what I paid for it.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,270
Speaking of cabooses. My Union Pacific caboose was in Illinois 2 days ago. Illinois is right next to
Missouri. Today, my caboose is in South Dakota. Not right next to Missouri.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I guess the diffuser paper can work in a caboose. Correct?
Yep to what Tom said. I have done it several times. In fact I have a red caboose that came without the paper. I put the paper in it plus changed the bulb. That toned down the brightness a lot. Still too bright for my taste since the light shows through the plastic body at the ends. I stuck in a storage container. I don't remember the caboose car number.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,272 (Edited)
My UP caboose is in Nebraska today. It was suppose to be delivered today. I do not think it will
make it. I also bought another 650 passenger car. A diecast frame this time. With steps. Might
try to sell the sheet metal frame one. Its actually my nicest one.

Kenny, I think I will buy some 18 volt bulbs for my lighted cars. I bought some 18 volt red and green bulbs for my turnout controllers. Much better. No where near as hot. Those 14 volt bulbs really get hot. I think I have stated my volts correctly.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Sounds like your UP caboose is traveling a similar route to a prototype.
Actually all passenger cars and cabooses used the 444 bulb. It is the large globe, 9/16", 18V bulb. Only engines used a 14V bulb. If you want less heat you need to buy the 24V version or screw in LED's. Same with the turnout lanterns and their controllers. All the bulbs were 18V. I switched all mine to 24V to reduce intensity and heat.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,274 (Edited)
Thanks for info Tom. Maybe I replaced the turnout controller bulbs with 24 volt bulbs. Lots dimmer but bright enough.
Lots cooler. Probably not that much difference with 14 or 18 volts. I got the bulbs over a year ago and who knows where they are. They are marked, I think on the base. At least on the package. only bought red and green so need some 24 volt clear. Bright enough for caboose. LEDs would be nice.

I forget the name but there is a company that sells LEDs for model trains. They come with wires installed with resistor and what ever it is that changes AC to DC. They make it easy.
For about 3 bucks each.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I recall you posting many months ago about using some 24V bulbs. Town and County Hobbies sells direct screw in replacement LED's for the original 18V bulbs. They are $3 ea, less in quantity.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I switched out my switch bulbs for 24V long ago. Both red and green and the clear one in the switch lantern. I first noticed a heat problem when I had a controller cover with a little warpage around a bulb hole. As luck would have it, I learned about the 24V bulb change around that time. That was before I had information about LED's.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,277
My UP caboose was in Kansas today. Its getting closer. Its in Kansas City, 300 miles away.
I might get it Monday.

Update on the UP caboose. Saturday at 1:43 am it arrived at distribution center here in St Louis.
It has to make it to my local post office. It really went on a journey, started out in Indiana. Only 2
states away. USPS is screwed up.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,278
The mail has really gotten slow. I got something from across town. 7 miles away and it took
4 days. A few short years ago it would come the next day. It used to amaze me how fast
the mail was. I used to sell on ebay, 3 days was about the max for shipping to anywhere. Not that way today. And mail is not cheap anymore and they want to raise the rates. Just think
how overwhelmed they would be if we did not have email and texts.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
In the process of looking unsuccessfully for my 24425 reefer I came across these three interesting cars in their OB. The white/black 640 is the rarest of the 640 hoppers but still only rates a 3 on the rarity scale.
The 24419 CN Reefer from 1958/9 has a rarity of 4. It lists in the guide as $800 plus the OB which likely adds $50.
The 24065 NYC boxcar is only a 2+ with KC’s as this one has. What is rare is the Kleerpack with the correct ends.

7F4A3859-FC6C-4958-8696-87023918B6AE.jpeg
02888136-7EB5-42FB-98F0-C0F40904AD88.jpeg
C5BD448C-2CA3-47A3-81AE-4887B902DC86.jpeg
353C56C7-F94F-475F-8206-B35FA4D5D6D4.jpeg

2261 - 2280 of 2476 Posts