Model Train Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,402 (Edited)
They are Tom. 1/64. Most of my diecast collection is 1/64, so when I found the tractors in a store I had to have them. That was before I got into S trains. Works out. The tractors are
dedicated to the trains now.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Mopac, those tractors look good on that 928. Maybe I will change my dozers out for some of the 1/64th tractors from my collection.
Kenny

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
It has been quiet here for a few days. Here are some pictures we just found of what was to be a permanent layout in the basement of our Wheaton house. These were taken in 1991. I was in a hurry to get some trains running, the studs are in but I went back later to add the insulation. We had to pack up and move before the drywall was done, and before the layout was done. The layout was built as an “L” with the foot attached at 45deg to the angled end of the layout. These pictures were taken prior to that part of construction. This layout used all ROW Industries #4 and #6 turnouts with GarGraves flex track. The main section pictured was 6’x16’. The foot of the “L” not shown was 4’x6’. This was one of only two houses we owned with a basement, lived in it for three years.

61554BDB-E74E-48C7-B264-5227E65F6735.jpeg
1B553730-7C56-43AD-9B12-7F230A2897AB.jpeg
FC11640F-5F0F-4298-85BE-456834408C13.jpeg
88DC26A2-C9B4-430C-8687-9E5FECE6F332.jpeg

·
Registered
829 Posts
Tom too bad you couldn't get that finished. That would have made an interesting layout. Nice configuration. Then again if you had finished, there would have been that much more to tear down when you moved. Nice looking Santa Fe chrome set. Are those Pullman green coaches or olive behind that 370? Looks like at least the rear 2 cars are the long truck type. Nice Flyer stuff you have there. Love your wiring there just below the control area. I see you used at least one AF switch that the Hudson is sitting on.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The yard and siding track switches were Gilbert. Below is a closeup of two of the four green 652/3/4 heavyweights on the layout. These are 1950 production unpainted Bakelite with the single number centered on the sides. Some refer to the color as olive. The 364 is pulling the chrome plated plastic coaches rather than the aluminum cars for weight reasons with the 3% grade. There are times I miss that basement, but never the winter weather.

01BB933E-1881-457B-880C-B47AB0059D42.jpeg

·
Registered
829 Posts
Tom, the only reason I refer to those Pullman heavy weights as olive is because that's what Doyle lists them as plus the ones I've seen at train shows look like it to me. The ones I have seen have all been unpainted. Very nice. Those are on my want list.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Years ago those passenger cars sold for $125 in E condition. The price has dropped some, I recall seeing them now in the $75 range in E condition, no box. Mine have the OB's. I see the Deger book calls them green with olive green in parenthesis.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recall that some of the "heavyweights" had opening doors. In particular, at the small town Minnesota hardware store that had a Christmas layout. I know about the die-cast chassis and steps. but where do the doors come in? I seem to recall that they were not only with the operating station, but maybe not.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
One of the opening doors can be seen on the dark green 652 in my first picture above, it is a different color of green than the Bakelite car. The steps and underbody detail are plastic as is the chassis. The 735 operating passenger loading/unloading coach is a different car based on the New Haven cars.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Very nice cars. I did notice that one of the doors was a different color green than the car body. I saw one with the same different colored door at a train show and thought the seller was playing games so I didn't buy it, especially for the price he wanted . Now I learn that maybe that was the way operating doors were made by Gilbert.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Gilbert never used a paint for the pivoting doors that matched the almost olive colored green of the Bakelite.

2401 - 2420 of 2475 Posts