Model Train Forum banner

2421 - 2440 of 2475 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I should think before I post, not to mention looking at the picture more closely. I mixed up the New Haven cars die-cast chassis steps etc with the heavyweights. Did the heavyweight have the die-cast chassis also? Then went to plastic similar to the New Haven going to sheet metal?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Since it is a Sunday afternoon with bad air quality here I am staying indoors. Went to get my red heavyweight cars to take some pictures but they were not where I thought I put them. That space was occupied by thIs 470/471/473 Santa Fe set. I took some pictures and here they are. It was almost like Christmas in September, I had not seen these engines in 25+ years.
This is a relatively rare 1957 set. It has Santa Fe nose decals, Built by Gilbert stamped on the sides, black and white Santa Fe cross logos under the cab windows and lastly single rivet sheet metal sets.

A6747008-4DC5-4E1F-964C-2D5B1DA167EA.jpeg
F22D4089-7E2F-4B9E-AC14-E59CD362ED03.jpeg
68B88C77-6428-4BC1-ABAC-77187C85609F.jpeg

·
Registered
829 Posts
Tom as usual very nice. I know I have trouble finding stuff but it sure hasn't been 25+ years since I have seen anything I have. I remember your description and pictures of how you have stuff stored and how much you have. Not finding these for 25+ years should be considered a crime.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If it is a crime then I hope the sentence is to run them on the layout for a day! I still have not found my 4730A 342AC set that I wanted to finish up my series of boxed set pictures with. It is the one pictured on the top of p36 in the Joe Deger Vol.III Sets book. Not one like it, the specific set that was photographed. I bought it from Dennis Bagby shortly after the pictures were taken for the book.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I presume by bad air quality you mean from the fires? I have a friend who lives up in Yuba County and she tells me the air quality is bad up there.
Tom, I have always been a "let the punishment fit the crime" kind of guy so the punishment you propose regarding your running your 470/471/473 set I think is adequate. Run those baby's all day! While I don't have a copy of Joe Deger's Vol.III Sets book, at least when I do run across one I'll know where that set pictured on p36 is now and who it came from. Although I don't know Dennis Bagby I do now about his amazing collection.

As a side note, a while back I said I would try and find the article concerning all the KleerPak cars. So far not so good. Still looking. I don't spend never ending hours looking but when I do have the time I do look through old copies of S Gaugian and Classic Toy Trains which I don't mind doing since I get to read long forgotten articles from both publications. CT at least has an on line summary of past articles from each year. This is beginning to look like a winter project for when I can't be or don't want to be outside.You do remember what I mean don't you?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Those 1957 PA/PB's were always intended as a display shelf set. The 470 does have a 4 position reverse unit, not a 2 position as in most 1957's.
The amount of smoke and ash in the air is hard to imagine until you see it. One of the reasons is there has been almost no wind so any smoke below 15k feet just disperses throughout the region. Smoke that rises to 20k feet gets into the bottom of the jet stream and goes to Michigan and Ohio. Usually the fires are coincident with strong Santa Ana winds that blow the smoke out to sea.
There is a list of all articles in every issue of CTT online, but no summaries of the contents. I can mentally recall pictures from that article but do not remember when or where it was published. I know an exhaustive treatise and documentation of all the Mini-Craft buildings was in the Q (TCA Quarterly.) Any chance the KleerPak article was in the Q?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
For pictures today I thought something unusual would be of interest to some of the readers here. I have posted a lot of pictures taken on my layout but it is almost impossible to get the entire layout in a picture. Early in the layout design process before the track plan was finalized we did a large number of 3D renderings so I could see how the layout would appear in the room and verify sight lines. These also provides a perspective of how the layout fills every square inch of the room. Below are a couple of the 3D views from the CAD file.

05B4B9FB-8E3E-4738-868C-56F5DEF36872.jpeg
1972DB65-2DDB-4674-833B-6FBABF8F48B2.jpeg
7919B4B7-E616-4299-9CAE-5A0B12B9A738.jpeg
8925E8EB-979A-49EB-9A75-4608C1A2D8DF.jpeg

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,431
Very cool Tom. Super nice plan. I really like the last pic with all the bridges.
I am a bridge freak. I do have some nice HO bridges but there will be none
on my S scale layout. S layout will be built in sections and I need the sections
to be stackable. That rules out bridges and raised track.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Here is another view of the bridges from a different vantage point. I also included a picture of the bridges in construction. The bridge superstructures are removable. Just got to have at least one bridge.

79E30BB3-80A3-41D0-B35F-FF26C04B5833.jpeg
D09BAB99-E921-454C-89DA-83B5C50FCF41.jpeg

·
Registered
829 Posts
Very nice Tom. You gotta have bridges! I got one large one that serves as an opening into my layout that is hinged on one end and has to be raised in order to walk in. That took a lot of trial and error to get figured out for good, long lasting operation. I posted a picture of it some time ago. Might have to post it again.

Regarding your Santa Fe set, the first thing that caught my eye was the black emblem below the cab window and the one rivet ladder. I had 2 Rocket PA/PB sets with the passenger cars and they both were 2 rivet ladders. Some times I'm sorry I sold those, other times I look at what I bought with the money and am not sorry.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Thanks Al.
Today I opened for the first time and unboxed a 1987 Lionel Flyer boxcar. Not sure why I bought all these cars, I must have liked their appearance when they were first cataloged. I have been saving many of these cars unopened but have decided to put some on the layout. This is a silver Canadian Pacific with red lettering. It looks pretty good on the track. This one is headed to the oval of track on my office floor that is saving the space for a future all Gilbert layout. Unfortunately the track must be taken apart every other Wednesday so the cleaning crew can vacuum the carpet on Thursday morning.
I like having the smell of original Gilbert smoke fluid at my desk.

DD43C22D-A9B7-41CD-8F0A-790C3D382082.jpeg
01B57AD0-8FBD-426D-8202-67205C179AC0.jpeg
3AE25B56-DACE-471D-8903-8908DBDD4DFA.jpeg

2421 - 2440 of 2475 Posts