Model Train Forum banner

241 - 260 of 2476 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
This is one of the Lionel FlyerChief NYC Northerns. They look almost identical to the Gilbert versions. This one is unique in that the FlyerChief system was removed and it was converted to run on the Legacy system with Railsounds. The fan driven smoke unit is the original Lionel unit. They smoke well, the engine was moving slowly around 15 to 20 SMPH.
Note the photographer (me) instinctively centered the smoke stack rather that the entire engine in the picture. An obvious need for retraining.

View attachment 504970
Nah, just let it go around again and get the tender this time.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The heat stamped lettering looks better than the decals 60 years on. Cramden, you may have missed my marginal attempt at a pun with the "retraining."

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Man, that 466 looks great, also the lettering. I guess I am nervous to get an original PA set. I hear they are finicky. My guru told me that. LOL.

Broke, your table looks nice with the border, Good job.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Man, that 466 looks great, also the lettering. I guess I am nervous to get an original PA set. I hear they are finicky. My guru told me that. LOL.

They are finicky buddy, you have to have patience!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nice pair of billboards mopac. They are #568 from 1956. You can put one at each end of the layout. Sorry for the loss of your Mom. Mine passed 3 years ago and I went thru some similar things as executor of her estate. Late, but here is my pic. for today. A 732 operating baggage car. View attachment 504904
That is a nice one! I do have a thing for gadgets, hence I love the operating accessories.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I see few yellow cabooses, nice to see a picture of two together. I also rarely see that Post Cereals action box car. Take care not to damage a Pikemaster coupler, they break easily. Broke, the layout came together nicely, I am also impressed your garage looks well organized.
Re: Pikemaster couplers - that's is almost certainly why my All-Aboard is missing a caboose! No doubt I broke it and threw away the car many years ago.

I noticed the nice shelving in Broke's garage too and that fine looking 322.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Everything is smaller from armature to brushes, compared to my 312 at least. But If I could rebuild mine, which was never maintained and somewhat butchered, it can't be too bad. I did avoid taking apart the reverse unit, instead opting for a lot of contact cleaner and a shot of CRC 2-26. It is working good. A bit of delicate soldering if one opts to replace the finger boards. But if well-maintained they run as smooth as silk! I am looking for another very nice non-running set to rebuild. Maybe a red/silver Santa Fe.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Broke they are both nice cars. The walking brakeman will buzz because that is how the man moves back and forth. They can be less noisy but not silent like the 977 can be.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
For my picture contribution today I chose two cars on my layout. The one on the right is a current production American Models with free rolling trucks. These cars will start rolling on any track that is not level. The car on the left is not common. It was made and sold in the 70’s by Kris Model Trains. They bought 3000 leftover Gilbert shells and chassis from Hobby Surplus. New artwork was made for about 60 different roadnames and paint schemes. They were sold with either knuckle couplers or Pikemaster couplers. The one I have has a link coupler sheet metal chassis so someone must have changed it.
The paint quality and sharpness is much better than the Gilbert factory cars. Three of the pictures are with flash to get a sharper picture. The last one is without flash to show the colors more accurately, the flash tends to wash them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
IMG_0554.JPG

Nice cars Broke and Tom. Here is a couple of mine. A nice shell tanker and probably a 642 boxcar. Not a 642, maybe a 633.
A B&O box car. I looked on my inventory list and it is a 633. But
with knuckle coupler. Must be converted. Both cars are in nice condition.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
No problem. Nice looking locomotive. We like all scales. Well, at least I do. LOL.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
No problem Adam, we like trains.
MoPac, that is a red 633 with correct link coupler trucks. The couplers were just changed. It is very hard to tell but it looks like a red painted version. Those are hard to find, especially in good shape. It has 2 spring trucks, if it is painted it is likely 1951 production, maybe 1952. Most red 633's were red plastic. All the brown/tuscan 633's are painted. The Black shell tank car is nice, it has the slotted trucks.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Tom, I may try to find the 633 tomorrow and see if it is painted or not. Thanks for the info.
In my inventory list I put what box each item is in. so should be easy to find.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Moe & Joe

I happen to have two of these, both in the same condition. They fire the planks out quite far so you need a netted platform to catch them in. Need to apply a little heat to the wheels to get rid of the release agent residue. I realize I put the wrong remote with it. It should be "Lumber Car". J.B.

Attachments

241 - 260 of 2476 Posts