Model Train Forum banner

2801 - 2820 of 2913 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Any S gauge engine made by Lionel will run on all Gilbert original track. Does not matter if the electronics are none, FlyerChief or Legacy. Also, Legacy engines run well in conventional transformer mode and many of the sounds are available as well. They also smoke well because in conventional the Legacy smoke setting defaults to High.
If it is made by AM then the type of wheels need to checked to assure they are high rail. As can be seen on the box for my AM Pacific, some were made with scale wheels and these will not run well on Gilbert track. They will run on Lionel FasTrack.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I am by no means an expert in SIT bellows and repairs. My first reaction would be if it has not dried out in the past 73 years I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,806 (Edited)
Al, on your Gulf depot. Are those the tanks that was on the base or did you take them off of cars. Your paint job looks good. Decals are a little hard to work with, at least for me they are.. I have seen the Gulf decals and the Gulf stickers. I am not big on stickers though. I have a Santa Fe car with stickers. They are not aging well. My (can't remember the number, maybe 983) C&NW car I recently purchased has a sticker. Its original. Decals look nice but you need to coat them with something clear. In a month or 2 they will dry out and curl right off unless you coat them with something. Your train shop should be able to tell you what to coat the decals with. I used to build plastic models and the decals would curl.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Over on the other forum there is a thread that includes a video interview of Angela Trotta Thomas. Angela is a fantastic painter who specializes in toy train memories. Mostly, as you would expect, Lionel. Someone asked if she would ever do some American Flyer paintings. Angela has done some, I have two of them hanging in my train room. One is in Angela's book on p27. Here is a picture taken in my train room that shows her Circus Set painting. This picture is taken looking back at the entrance. All the other walls in the train room have backdrops on them.

08C3D4C6-8934-4797-9691-48EC0A22D074.jpeg

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,809 (Edited)
Nice paintings Tom. Just curious. Do you own the actual painting or a print. I have some prints, no actual paintings. Most of my HO locomotives are models of actual locomotives. I have found some nice photos of my engines online. I have many MoPac engines. Many MoPac engines have a "screaming eagle" on the side. I have one that the "screaming eagle" is in a different spot than the others. I found a photo of the road number I have and sure enough the "screaming eagle" is in the different spot. it is the only engine that was done like that. I thought that was cool. I hope to print some of these photos on photo paper, put in a
frame and hang in the train room. Gilbert did not bother with actual road numbers so no photos online of actual engine.

You can find some cool photos of NPR #765 online. Did you ever get your 765? I still have
not received my manual and smoke fluid from Lionel.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
My two paintings by Angela are numbered limited edition prints that I purchased from her at a train show so they are hand signed and dedicated to me. A commissioned original painting from her would be in 5 figures. I have about 25 "original" Gilbert ads from magazines and Sunday papers of the '50's. Some are framed and hang in my office.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,812
Cool stuff Tom. I have a #4005 UP big boy in HO. I got a print of a real photo of 4005 in action from
a forum member here. He wouldn't even let me pay postage on it. 4005 has not run in about 60 years.

Side note. 4005 was the only big boy that any of her crew were killed. 2 crew members
were killed when 4005 derailed and laid over on its side. It was repaired and put back in
service. 4005 is in a museum somewhere. I think maybe Denver.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Thanks. Here is a closer picture of the Circus painting with, unfortunately, my reflection included. I do not have a polarizing attachment for my iPhone to eliminate the reflections from the glass. You can see only 353 prints were made of the original painting.
Since Nickel Plate Road 765 has been discussed and pictured here I am including a picture of a painting of 765 done by a local Pittsburgh artist. This hangs in the hallway leading to the train room.

A2DF62E7-CEA7-46E8-9211-D9842BC3D1A1.jpeg
EA82CAD3-706D-4F42-996F-B84D06E8F30E.jpeg

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,814
That circus painting is too cool. Thanks for showing a close up of it. On my little laptop screen I was not seeing it well.
765 is a cool one also. Big boy 4006 is parked about 3 miles from me. I wish they would get it under cover.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The online pictures of 4006 make it look to be in great shape. When I visited Steamtown 4012 looked ok. When 4014 was here at the LA Fairgrounds it looked awful but now is new and running again. I think only 4005 and 4017 are displayed indoors. I suppose it always comes down to a matter of available funding.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Nice Angela Trotta Thomas circus painting Tom. CTT ran an article or maybe two on her paintings and her life story up to that date. It was a while ago. She is a tremendous artist. You are fortunate to been able to get two of her prints. I have a lot of old Life, Boy's Life, and Look magazines from the 30's through the 50's. I have found a few pictures which I cut out with intentions of framing. Not yet. I also have several newspaper articles from the local newspaper regarding the old Chicago & Alton/GM&O/Illinois Gulf/SP now UP yard west of Bloomington, IL that I have referenced here on the Forum, when they had the the sprawling steam engine repair shops there.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That circus painting is too cool. Thanks for showing a close up of it. On my little laptop screen I was not seeing it well.
765 is a cool one also. Big boy 4006 is parked about 3 miles from me. I wish they would get it under cover.
So mopac, do you live near the Museum of Transportation then? I was there many years ago before any of it was covered.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,819 (Edited)
Kenny, I do live close. Much of it is covered now. They have some interesting pieces there. Some one of a kind. I have been in the cab of 4006. Lots of valves and gauges. If the engineer seat is original, not comfortable at all. They have an auto museum inside a building. They have one of the Chrysler turbine cars. And a Bobby Darren dream car. An aerotrain. Some old passenger cars. Frisco #1522 lives there. Check out 1522 on You Tube. I use to see it out on the rails all the time. It has bearing problems now and no money so has probably done its last excursion. I try to go once a year to the museum.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
If I lived that close to the rail museum I would try to visit once/year as well.
Kenny, I have seven of the old ads framed plus two of the ATT paintings. The cost of framing exceeds the acquisition cost of the items. I have another 20 ads not framed, mostly for that reason.

2801 - 2820 of 2913 Posts