Model Train Forum banner

2821 - 2840 of 2913 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If I lived that close to the rail museum I would try to visit once/year as well.
Kenny, I have seven of the old ads framed plus two of the ATT paintings. The cost of framing exceeds the acquisition cost of the items. I have another 20 ads not framed, mostly for that reason.
Yes Tom I know all too well the cost of framing. That is why when I framed some old car pictures and AC Delco, Fram, etc. parts adds for my garage walls, I did it myself. I have acquired several picture frames of various sizes, plenty of clear plastic film sheets used in the printing industry which I got free, and poster board from Hobby Lobby and mounted the pictures. No It wasn't easy. The fact that some frames were in various stages of discoloration or had paint/varnish peeling added to the over all look since everything pictured is old. I saved the nicer ones for when I got around to mounting the train ads. I got one mounted of the SP Sunset Limited. I'll get a picture of it.

Both of those paintings are fantastic. I have to say though, I really like the one of the boy looking through the window at the trains. Brings back memories when I was doing the same thing at department stores in down town Bloomington, IL like Woolworth's, Wards, Penney's, Kresge's, (anybody know what that store became?), and other stores. Most all of them had trains in there windows with other toys.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Kenny, I do live close. Much of it is covered now. They have some interesting pieces there. Some one of a kind. I have been in the cab of 4006. Lots of valves and gauges. If the engineer seat is original, not comfortable at all. They have an auto museum inside a building. They have one of the Chrysler turbine cars. And a Bobby Darren dream car. An aerotrain. Some old passenger cars. Frisco #1522 lives there. Check out 1522 on You Tube. I use to see it out on the rails all the time. It has bearing problems now and no money so has probably done its last excursion. I try to go once a year to the museum.
Mopac, that car museum was there as you describe it when I was there plus a metal building with a couple of airplanes. All of the engines were outside in the weather. I heard that things were covered now but haven't wanted to travel the 200 miles to check things out. I too sat in that 4006 seat and was amazed at how long the engine was and what the engineer and fireman's view was of that long boiler was like. I gotta get back down there. Nothing stopping me but that long 400 mile round trip. There was a time 200 miles was nothing. Now days.....

Kenny

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I do not have any of the old automobile items. Probably a good thing. Framing pictures correctly for use inside the house is not easy, at least for me. Just cutting the matting correctly and getting the gold or silver edges just right is in the way too hard category for me.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,825
Kenny, 200 miles is alot to us now. My family has 17 acres right on the Lake of the Ozarks. I love that place and really miss the bass fishing. I used to go there a couple times a month. Its about 175 miles from here. I have not been there in a few years. So I know what you mean. I have not gone there since the wife died and that was 5 years ago. She was my fishing buddy. I have not had my boat in the water since she passed. Time is passing me up. I do still want a S scale layout though. I have engines I have not run yet. Like that nice 293 I got from flyernut.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Do not let too much time pass you by. Right now is a good time to stay home and just get new things out of the mailbox or off the front porch. Next year at this time the risks will be much less. Now is a good time to create that layout. Were I living alone I would put the layout in the living room and make a bedroom into an A/V room.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Mopac the time does seem to be passing by faster than I like. 2 of my grand children attending college and another set to go next year was my "time is quickly slipping away" wake up call. You lost your fishing buddy and I lost my excursion train and train museum buddy 5 years ago too.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I do not have any of the old automobile items. Probably a good thing. Framing pictures correctly for use inside the house is not easy, at least for me. Just cutting the matting correctly and getting the gold or silver edges just right is in the way too hard category for me.
Like I said, it wasn't easy. Probably why I haven't done any lately. A lot of wasted matting and poster board. And patience.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,829
Tom, I found a car you should probably get, if you don't already have it. Its a
Angela Trotta car. Its called "Circus Comes to Town". About 1/3 of the car is
your circus print. Pretty cool. 6-48831. Its at Charles Ro. 50.95. its a "Merry
Christmas" car. In the Christmas S gauge section.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Mopac, you sure did. I do not recall ever seeing that car. Somehow I must have just passed it by when looking at the 2012 catalog since I did buy a car from that issue. Here is the catalog cut.

B9D0852A-0300-414D-8897-66DDB43A3A49.png

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm resurrecting the earlier reefer submissions with an interesting (to me) National Dairy Despatch insulated box car. I don't know the year of issue for this, but Tom probably does. :)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
That is number 6-48805, cataloged in 1990. It is an insulated boxcar, but not a reefer with refrigeration equipment. At least as far as the protype that was modeled. It is a good looking car.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,834
Cool beans Tom. I figured since you have a signed limited print, this car would be a must have.

MkeH, nice car, looks good.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,835
Tom, I had never heard of Angela Trotta till you brought her up. I am seeing her work all
over now. I got an email from TrainWorld, they are having a big promotion of her work on
O scale cars. LOL, not a sale, just a promotion of many O scale cars with her work on them.
They are 65.00 a piece. You might want to look just to see them.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
She has done a lot of O scale cars, you should watch the video. I have a large book she published that has most of her work in it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Mopac, if you have have saved your Classic Toy Trains back issues, they ran a multi page spread on her work and her life story. No I don't know when it was. Also there are usually ads in the magazine regarding her work.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,838
Tom, thanks for the video. I feel I know her now. She is a train person. And a great artist.
That Meegan is a sharp cookie also.

Kenny, I did not do Classic Toy Trains. I did Model RailRoader. Had stacks of them.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Mopac I forgot you spent your formative years in HO before getting into American Flyer so you would have had no need to buy CTT. I have so many years of Model Railroader you wouldn't believe plus CTT, S Gaugian, almost back to the beginning, and other assorted titles. That's besides the years of Hot Rod, Car Craft, and other assorted hot rod/racing magazines. Yep I got a fortune just in magazines. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it but I began in HO too since I never had the room like I have now to build a large AF layout. While I was into HO, I was also collecting Gilbert AF stuff just like you are now. Always waiting for the day when I would have the room for a sizable Flyer layout. Of course my racing career got in the way further delaying the Flyer layout. I still got all of my HO stuff too. All pre-DCC.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,840
Kenny, you mentioned Car Craft. I have some I bought dating back to 1959. I was only 9 then but into cars. I bought my first car, a 57 chevy, when I was 12. Its not this way now but I had my full driving license at 13. With that 57 I thought I was somebody. At 17 I bought my 65 GTO. Tri power and 4 speed. LOL, then I knew I was somebody. I mowed yards to get that 57 chevy. $3.00 a yard.

2821 - 2840 of 2913 Posts