Model Train Forum banner

2941 - 2960 of 3002 Posts

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,942
Great photos Tom. As usual on that great layout. I am about to lay out some track on the
basement floor. My son has a friend that really wants to run some AF trains. I have a 293
I got from flyernut, maybe 10 months ago, and have not run it a bit. Plus I want to run my
new Berkshire.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
As I was getting out some cars for a Christmas train the PCC trolley decorated for the Pittsburgh Railways was put on the layout as well. The layout depicts Southwestern Pennsylvania, the Greater Pittsburgh area. It is stopped at the suburban station.

3D66C122-080C-401B-9BB1-34ECBA0BE9E1.jpeg
B5D58786-E017-4BA4-A509-A7F8B16560C3.jpeg
E3A6FE94-73B7-448E-B099-CEC6F3B0137D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Looks good Tom. I've always liked the Pennsylvania colors. To me they used the old adage of less is more when they used that color with minimum stripping.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Thanks Kenny. Unfortunately the drop-in S gauge conversion chassis for the Corgi trolleys are no longer available. I have another one I would like to power but the current choices are not simple drop-ins. The one in the picture runs conventionally, I never had it modified to run with Legacy.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Thanks. Maybe some day a manufacturer will make 1/64 scale PCC cars. I used to ride those cars frequently when I lived in Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Nice layout pictures Tom. I forgot to mention that trolley and how good it looks. I've never ridden one. The closest thing to those around hear was an electric cantenary style 2 or 3 car train that was called the Interurban. It started and ran through Bloomington, Il making stops here and there then 25 miles south to another town. I rode that train once with my grandfather about 65 years ago. I remember it was very noisy. It was similar to trolley style cars. Between towns it used the Illinois Central track.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Wow! That was a lot of catenary in central Illinois. Most interurbans were diesel powered. The PCC trolleys were pretty quiet and the accelerated quickly from the stops. Pittsburgh was bridges, trestles, tunnels and grades. Much of the system was street running. The cars rode relatively well, the track gauge was a factor. Pittsburgh Railways used Pennsylvania Broad Gauge for all the traction lines. That was done to prevent the many street running railroads from using the trolley tracks. the track gauge is 5'-2 1/2".

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Tom I have to tell you a story about that catenary interurban. When my dad would drive by that interurban on the highway, I would see occasional sparks coming from the connecting rod where it touched the wire. My dad said that train was for bad people and whenever there was a spark, the people inside would get shocked. I believed him. When the time came I had to ride with my grand dad, at first I refused. He convinced me it was safe and my dad made up the story. I was 7 at the time. I suspect since my dad knew I knew that interurban ran past the courthouse, that is why he made up the story. I was sure scared at first. Since we were well into Bloomington at a slow speed headed out of town, I had plenty of time to get over my fear before it went out into the country headed south.
The building that housed those interurban cars still stands today. It has been a produce distribution warehouse for the last 40 or so years with an addition of truck docks at one end of the building. The street rails were never taken up, just paved over. If you look straight down the street, you can see slight indentions where the pavement has sunken slightly. I'm sure semi trucks delivering to that warehouse haven't been kind to the street. After the warehouse, the street shows no track indentions even though the track continued on for several more blocks north to the courthouse. Just car and light truck traffic allowed. Semis are only allowed to go to the warehouse one way.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Interesting, both the story and the sparking. I do not recall the Pittsburgh trolleys sparking at the roller pickup/wire interface.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
As far as Pittsburgh trolleys go I used to ride the Castle Shannon Line, either the Shannon/Drake or Shannon/Library for anyone who knows the area. The two lines run along route 88 before diverging to their respective towns. There has been an auto repair shop on Rt88 where the trolley runs behind it. Its called Fellers Garage and has been there forever.
A modeler in San Diego developed and sold highly accurate 1/64th scale kits of the building. Of course I bought one, my parents lived about a mile from it. The first picture is the completed kit when my layout was in construction. The second picture is the real building taken four years ago, unfortunately no trolleys are visible. The final picture is a staged scene on my layout that approximates the real thing. If you look closely at the last picture compared to the first it is apparent we cut off an inch of the side walls at the rear corners. The building as assembled was too deep for the spot on the layout.

7932ACA1-0BCC-4CD3-BD77-EED1DF4F8635.jpeg
CF51B251-531E-4CCA-8977-C46F0FB389DC.jpeg
F28A050A-0D56-4636-85E5-2CDE604415F8.jpeg

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,956
Cool building and scene.

I tried to buy a AF smoke fluid tank car today. I failed. I thought I tried, car was at 50.00 with 10
seconds left. I bid 57.00 with 8 seconds left. Car went for 58.00. Yep, I was first loser. I did get
a nice car in the mail today. A 923 IC reefer. Could not be nicer. Plus it was a deal. 6.10 plus
8.45 shipping. I have a 923 here somewhere but no where near as nice. I got my other one when
I was a kid.

IMG_0821.JPG

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Mopac that's a nice car. Like you I have a nice 923 and a not so nice one too. I also have a painted 24403, and 2, 802 IC reefers. There again one not so nice and one like new.

Tom I need that garage! Looks like some that are common around here in small towns. I got a Plasticville garage as a fill in until I get a kit type. One day I will.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,958
The 923 looks like one half is lighter orange. Its not. Just the way the sun was on it.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,960
Tom, the other side is just as nice. Little run time on the wheels. Wish I had got a box with it.

2941 - 2960 of 3002 Posts