Model Train Forum banner

2981 - 3000 of 3002 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looks good, Chuck. Hard to tell but it looks like a 5 wire connection, so AC, not DCC?
Yes, original AC. I have a very small collection of Gilbert AF steamers. I have a 326, 336 and 343 all of which I have restored mechanically, electrically and aesthetically, my uncle's Royal Blue and his 21105, and my little boy's 283. All of these I keep original/restored condition other than ripping out the air chime whistle and replacing with Dallee bell and whistle. At the flip of a switch I can rotate my layout from conventional AC to Legacy or to DCC. I run all of these on conventional AC.

Then I have a 295 and 283 that I totally customized with paint, decals and TMCC.

·
Registered
931 Posts
That is nice did u rebuild that one too. I just bought one to runs good but doesnt smoke. Havnt had tome repair the smoke. Just recently bought a k335 sellar said hasnt been tested and 2 wheels r missing on tender the middle ones. Paid 240. plus shipping. Cant wait this is my first northerner.

Al

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,988
Congrats Al on your first northern. You will like it. "untested" usually means I tried it and it does not run.
No biggie. They work just like other AF steamers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is nice did u rebuild that one too.
Al
I wouldn't say it was a rebuild. For my full restorations, I take them completely apart (except the reverse unit unless it needs new fingers or drum), fix or repair whatever is necessary, clean everything with various means, paint the shells and sideframes, polish the handails/grabirons, apply waterslide decals & clear coat, re-grease, and re-oil.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Al, your K335 is not missing any tender wheels. Since it has an Air Chime Whistle there should be sliding pickup shoes in the center position on the tender trucks. The K335 should have come with the Whistle controller.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Awesome job Chuck!

AM Flyer , and I know I prefer not to hang out underneath heavy loads or even near the ends of some that swing....lol

2981 - 3000 of 3002 Posts