Model Train Forum banner
3301 - 3320 of 3375 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Thanks Kenny, I relate to the "outside influences" . I too have a lot of Hartoy AHL trucks. The covered hauler is AHL but I am not certain about the tow truck. I did some research, first I looked at my inventory list but the tow truck was not on it, however the most recent entry was April of 2006. That list is completely out of date. I checked two lists I have of all AHL trucks made by Hartoy and it is not listed. The lists are dated March 2005 so it could have been made later. I will get the tow truck back out of storage later and look at the chassis markings. Finding the OB somewhere in my storage is likely too hard.
Here a a few still new in their OB I am thinking of adding to the layout.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Font Gas
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Well so much for remembering. My trucks are also Hartoy AHL not AHM like I said. A memory is a terrible thing to lose. I don't have those 2 semi's but I do have the Mobile Oil truck. Gotta my list up to date too before I get enticed into buying anymore.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
AHM is big in HO, easy to mix up who made what.
The tow truck is AHL, here is the underside. The master list of AHL products I have does have a disclaimer on it, good thing, they missed this one.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I do like that truck Tom. Actually I've never seen it at any show. Probably on eBay. After I thought about it, AHM is an HO product line. I got some rolling stock and engines from my HO days.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Good news, and maybe bad news, I found the tow truck and three others on my vehicle inventory sheets. I have them listed in a separate section with the heading "Prestige by Mac's Trucks." They were purchased in March, 2000 from Mac McGrath, owner of Mac's Trains and Trucks at the DuPage Train Show. The four trucks are the Sinclair tow truck and the Sinclair Drop Side covered truck. The Drop Side is identical to the AHL cataloged Peabody Coal truck except for the decorating. I have never seen an AHL cataloged version of the other three trucks. The two remaining are the orange Milwaukee Road dump truck and a Hayes yellow logging hauler with trailer.
It is coming back to me from ancient memories that Mac had these special trucks made by Hartoy for his company. I have never seen any of these four trucks at another train show nor noticed them online. I would have bought more had I seen them. I paid $140 year 2000 dollars for those four trucks.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
That logging truck photo is painful because it highlights that I still have not put the Maple veneer on the sides of the layout structure.
Here is another interesting car, a 1953 Ford limo with suicide rear doors. All the doors and hood open, same as the other M2 and Racing Champion Cars. On some other 1/64 model brands they may not open.

Automotive lighting Gas Drink Bumper Font
Train Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Love that Mack coal truck and the log truck. I've seen a lot of those trucks at Du Page but never anything like that. Outstanding.

I have some of those M2 vehicles too. A few pick ups and several cars but never saw a car like that. Looks good.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
The Sinclair gas truck immediately caught my attention. That is not listed on either of the AHL production lists I have. Any chance you have the OB with the number on the bottom?
The Red Crown and Standard Oil gas haulers are not listed either.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Tom I don't know if I have the box for the Sinclair gas truck. I have most of the boxes but not all were bought in boxes. I do remember buying that truck at DuPage but that was long ago. That is a sharp truck in my opinion. Remined me of when I was a kid in Southern Ill. There was a Sinclair distribution center near where I lived and they had 2 of those trucks exactly like this one.
I have to leave for a while but will look for that box when I return later this afternoon.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Kenny, those are nice trucks to have. You should get the Snow Village Coca Cola Bottling Plant to use with the Coke truck. It is a nice building, very close to 1/64 scale.
A little history about AHL. There were regular production runs plus a number of "internal releases" made for specific companies or buyers. Some of these custom items did not have numbers on the boxes. The Sinclair trucks are likely part of those custom production runs. In 2003 Hartoy ended AHL production and sold the AHL brand and tooling to Tonkin. Some time later Tonkin made some 1/64 trucks using the AHL tooling but with completely different decorating. Only five different trucks were made and all production was for specific resellers, two of which were Scenery Unlimited and the Chicago S Gaugers.
I have some of those Tonkin made trucks in my collection but I have no idea where they are. I am sure one day I will come across them when looking for other items and will post pictures.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Tom I swear I wrote a response to your message about those trucks. Well guess I will write it again. Regarding that Sinclair gas truck, I remember buying it at DuPage from the guy that was just to the left of the main entrance door. There was no box. It was a older man and his wife. You might remember them. He always had a large selection of die cast. Nothing was ever boxed. Some cars and a few farm tractors that were actually old as opposed newly produced to look old. As recall, he also cast his own as well. I bought a few things from him but since I was there to buy trains i didn't spend much money with him at one time. You are probably on to something with that Sinclair truck. I'll have to look for that Snow Village Coca Cola Bottling Plant.
Interesting information regarding Hartoy and Tonkin. It would be interesting to find some of those Tonkin trucks made with the AHL tooling just for the different decorating.

Kenny

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,317 ·
Tom, Kenny, nice trucks. I have some trucks also. Not any you have. I do not remember AHL.
I will show mine once I find them.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I vaguely remember the table to the left of the main entrance, it was not a vendor I usually made purchases from. I bought most of my AHL trucks from Mac McGrath who was in the building to the right of the main hall. I looked at everything AF but my main stops were, first, the seller of the old magazine and newspaper ads along the right hand wall. Those ads are now framed and hanging on my office walls. Next was Mike Farner from St Louis. He had good stuff but was always higher priced than others. In the center aisle was a guy who brought boxes of empty OB's. Over the years I probably bought around 150 OB's and OW's from him. Then on to John Heck, the only question there was how large an amount would be on the check. I stopped at Dave Garrigues' table to see what obscure variation he brought to show visitors. The last regular for me in the main hall was Andy Jugle. He would have several file cabinets of original Gilbert paper and parts. I bought a lot of paper from him plus my stash of original, unused talking station records in their original envelope's. I regret not buying more of the later variations of the records when Andy had them.
Just talking about this makes me want to attend another DuPage show. The Bottling Plant is #54690, they should not be hard to find but might need to look at the Department 56 reseller sites.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have a lot of mounted advertising as well. only a couple are mounted and framed. The rest are in plastic wrap packaging with poster board backing. I could display those but rather frame them. I have a few frames i could use but most are too big for the adds. I bought some of those ads from the seller you referenced. I have a nice collection of old Saturday Evening Post, Colliers. and Life magazines that In have yet to go through. The magazines that are damaged in some way are the ones I cut the ads from. Most of those adds were for the real passenger trains of the day. Very few contain AF or Lionel ads. Boy's Life has but I don't have many of those. The only name I recognize from the names you listed is of course John Heck. Mike Farmer sounds familiar but I can't place him. I am terrible wit remembering names. I also remember Andy Jugle and new talking station records of which I only bought 3 total. Like you, I should have bought more.
I did find plenty of the Dept.56 Bottling Plants. I have a BIN offer on a new one with box.
My plan, subject to change, was to attend the Sept. DuPage show. However, there now a mandate of masking up for all indoor events. That might be a game changer.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Kenny, that is great, NIB is preferable when you can find them. When I put Snow Village buildings on a layout I do not use the light and cord packaged with the item. I bought some accessory strings of 10 lights and cut the sockets off. That leaves about a foot of wire on each socket. Then drill a 1/4" hole in the layout to feed the wire through, wire nut the sockets to an extension cord with the end cut off, then just plug in the modified extension cord.
The ads look good when mounted on poster board. About 15 years ago we had a frame shop do all our items that were laying around or wrapped in rolls. It was quite a few prints. Here are a some pictures (of pictures.) The first picture shows two of the Gilbert newspaper ads in my office. The second is an Angela Trotta Thomas painting over my layout, the third is a line drawing of 765 at the P&LE station in Pittsburgh.

Picture frame Rectangle Wood Art Painting
Picture frame Rectangle Textile Painting Wood
Picture frame Rectangle Branch Art Twig

3301 - 3320 of 3375 Posts