Model Train Forum banner
3321 - 3340 of 3375 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Thanks. Since the layout backdrop covers three of the walls I can only fit three pictures in that room. I have two in the hallway outside the train room and seven in my office. For some reason my wife insists that I not hang train pictures anywhere else in the house.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
New picture, different subject. If you want to see a distant fire in California here is a new one. it started about four hours ago. It appears to be burning near Temecula, about 40 miles east of us. The breeze is blowing from south to north as can be seen from the plume direction so it is coming off the Pacific. That means while the temps are hot the air is still humid. The ridge line just in front of the fire is about 3,500’ elevation.
Cloud Sky Mountain Cumulus Plant

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,324 ·
Those wildfires have been a problem this year. We have had a wetter than normal summer. Helps keep the wildfires down. Thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Those wildfires have been a problem this year. We have had a wetter than normal summer. Helps keep the wildfires down. Thanks for the pic.
Therefore there's more growth and more fuel for next year. Never-ending cycles...dryness makes the fuel more flammable, wetness grows more fuel for the next dryness.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
The fire pictured above has been named the Chaparral fire. It started at 12:30pm today. It is in the Cleveland National Forest west of Murrieta. There are residences on the slope near the fire. As of 4:30pm it has burned 450 acres with zero percent containment.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Kenny, since you are buying a Bottling Plant I looked for a picture of mine on a layout. The ones I found are not especially good but here are two pictures. The first one was taken 12/25/1995. The Bottling Plant is back against the window, not a great picture of it. There are 11 Snow Village buildings on that layout. The second picture is four years later. The layout has grown a bit but now there are over 50 buildings on the layout. Kind of like where there is one there will soon be 100. The bottling plant is in the foreground between the Talking Station and the Tool Shed. Just the side, roof, back and chimneys are visible.

Christmas tree World Textile Rectangle Line
Building World Urban design Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Tom I really like those newspaper ads. I really like that bottom one. The sketch is so full of detail. Fantastic!

Kenny

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,331 ·
Nice cars Tom. flyernut put a like on your cars. So I guess he made it through all the rain in NY.
I was worried about him.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Good to hear flyernut. And I thought we had a lot of rain with two 10 inch rains! That is a lot but nothing like the folks on the North East coast not to mention every state from Louisiana up to the coast area. Look what happened in Tennessee. I have cousins eastern Tennessee, they didn't fare so well. My grand daughters in Nashville got a ton of rain but not as bad as Eastern Tennessee. Think about it. That was from a hurricane that began in the Gulf, through New Orleans and then ends up in The East coast. Amazing! I know in the past we here in the Midwest have had heavy rain and storms from hurricanes that have came straight up from the Southern states but we are not as far away as the Northern East coast.
I do hope anybody on the Forum did alright.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Good that all of the S gauge participants seem to be fine after the weather events. Other than morning marine layer followed by afternoon sunshine we have had no weather events.
It seems like a long time since I posted a train picture, plus I have not received any new trains in six months. Here is a picture of a C&O Light Mikado underway on the layout.

Train Plant Light Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,335 ·
Nice C&O steamer Tom. I have not run my E8s yet. They are beauties. And probably run well.
Still no layout. I had better hurry, not getting any younger. I am at the age that any day could be the last day.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,337 ·
Yep, I need 2 pieces of wide radius track to do what I have planned. Hard to buy just 2 pieces.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Tom that C&O sure does look good especially with all that smoke. I got the Coca Cola Dept. 56 building. The only problem I got is how to down load the pictures with this new computer. I have had my hands full just getting the basics down and desk top icons on the screen. The ports for plugging in the cable to the computer to transfer pictures are way different that my present cable. Need to do some research at Best Buy.

Mopac., the hard part is starting. Once you get into it and got a plan, that's when things get done, almost like an obsession. At least that is how it was for me on every layout I ever built. The one I have now was built to be my last so it was built to last. In it's present configuration, I still look at ways to change some things. The most glaring is the fact that I some how neglected to build more service sidings. Once you start you will spend every minute you can to get enough structure built so you can lay track and get some trains running, even if it is just bare plywood or foam board. You know the old saying. Plan your work, work your plan.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Kenny, I am guessing your new computer has USB-C ports and your other devices are USB (A or B.) I went online at monoprice.com and purchased several cables with USB-C on one end and USB-A on the other. Simple fix. You can also buy a dock that connects to the computer with a USB-C and has inputs/outputs for USB-A/B, power and HDMI.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Here is a picture of the Dell dock connected to my wife's computer via a USB-C cable. The wire out the back of the dock is connected to the USB-C port on the computer. The wire with the blue light is the power supply. Two ports to the left (with an orange dot) is the USB device for the wireless keyboard and mouse. There are three more USB inputs plus an HDMI output to connect a monitor. USB sticks, plus other storage devices can be plugged in. There is a Cat 6 wired network connector adjacent to the power cable. USB-C is a vast improvement over the old USB but is backward and forward compatible, with performance limitations.

Audio equipment Electronic instrument Gadget Electrical wiring Computer hardware

3321 - 3340 of 3375 Posts