Model Train Forum banner
3341 - 3360 of 3375 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Both of those hoppers look good, especially the NYC. I am watching a covered PRR hopper on eBay. I just haven't jumped yet. Not hard to take the cover off.

Got the picture transfer thing figured out. Sure do miss Radio Shack.

Kenny

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,345 ·
Thanks guys. I do like hoppers. The NYC was like 22.00 shipped. Had to go. NYC is 6-48631 from 2007. The CNJ is not the greatest custom but I like it. It was under 10.00. Kenny, in my buying spree I got me a PRR covered hopper. I almost bought another different NYC hopper. It was from that Historic group of cars of which I have many. But it was a 3 bay hopper and all my other hoppers are 2 bay. And I passed.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Even Gilbert made 3 bay hoppers, first the Union Pacific and then Peabody coal. Having one in a mixed freight looks good. The downside of 3 bay hoppers is the length of a unit train. It takes a larger layout to accommodate a 10 to 15 car unit train of 3 bays and have it look good. As an example, a train of 12 three bays is two feet longer than if the hoppers were two bays.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Mopac, nice to see the weather cooperated for some good pictures on the wall.
It has been a week since 4014 left St Louis, I guess there is a shortage of S gauge fans further west. Here are some pictures I took today of 4014 in Laguna Niguel.

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine
Train Wheel Rolling stock Vehicle Mode of transport
Train Building Vehicle Steam engine Plant
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Train Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
One more, I neglected to add the drone shot as 4014 was proceeding toward the local station.
FYI, this is a long engine, the curve radius of the track 4014 is on is 40", 80" diameter. For those who also model 3 rail O gauge that is approximately O-108.

Tire Automotive tire Building Rectangle Grille

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Very nice pictures Tom. That over head drone shot sure does show just how long those Bog Boys are even in scale size.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Tried to download some pictures with new computer but didn't happen. This is a whole new set up. I was able to get them from the camera, actually my Android phone, but now I have to figure out how to down load. It would have been nice if HP would have supplied a manual like before. I guess I will have to Google the procedure.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Kenny, what I do is type out the text of my post using the computer. Then I open the MTF on the mobile device with the pictures (in my case that is an iPad but it also works with an Android phone) and go the same post. The mobile device will see the unposted draft text. Then I touch the paperclip on the mobile device screen, add the pictures and upload. The MTF site is very "device friendly" that way. If I had to post pictures from my computer which has around 20,000 pictures stored I would never post photos again.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Here is an old picture that quantifies the S gauge Big Boy length. It was taken on the empty floor of the room that now holds my room filling train layout. The prototype Big Boy is 133’-10” to the end of the tender frame. That works out to 24.9” is S scale. The 4014 model is 14.75”, pretty close to exact scale length for the engine/tender set.
Those of you in Chicago may recognize the lumber store printed on the yard stick.

Train Rolling stock Locomotive Track Vehicle

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,354 ·
Very nice pics Tom. Your Big Boy is beautiful. I got my K-Line MoPac car today and found
my Glbert MoPac car. They are actually alike more than I thought. I like the K-Line. It does indeed
have sprung trucks. Here is a pic of the prototype.

Train Sky Cloud Vehicle Rolling stock

And here is a pic of my 2 S scale cars. The K-Line on the left, Gilbert on the right. The K-Line is a
little bigger. A little taller and a little longer. Not sure what that is about. They both roll very good.

Train Plant Rolling stock Track Tree

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
The lettering, paint and decals look pretty good. The reasons for the size discrepancy are several. When Marx made the dies for these car bodies the scale was approximately 3/16" but the Marx cars were made for O27 layouts so the width needed to accommodate the O gauge trucks. Gilbert made a 3/16th scale model of a specific 40' boxcar that even in prototype was on the small side. We do not know if Marx modeled the same prototype car.
The taller and wider K-Line #018 would be a perfect fit behind the too tall for S scale Big Boy pictured above.

Vehicle Product Wheel Rolling stock Mode of transport

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,356 ·
I think both cars are a good representative of the merchandise car. Both are fine with me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks mopac, good perspective. A more noticeable difference than I expected. Then again, boxcars came in many sizes over the years.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
The prototype for the Gilbert box cars was one of the smallest 40' cars made. The K-Line box car appears to use a different prototype and any other prototype would be larger than the Gilbert cars. I think the #018 UP would look good behind 4014, I will have to ask my wife to buy me one, she has the eBay account. Mopac, how much wider is the K-Line car than the Gilbert car?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tom, what is the prototype for the Gilbert boxcars? Along this line, how do the Lionel O27 "Scout" cars compare to AF? I think there was a double door box that would add some variety. Baby Ruth car? (Too lazy ATM to look it up.)

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
The Gilbert boxcars are based on an early 1930's PRR version of the ARA X29 boxcar. The PRR did not follow all the ARA standards so the car end construction and roof details deviate from the ARA standard. These cars had only an 8'-7" interior height. By 1940 most of the railcars based on the ARA X29 standard used a 10'-0" interior height.
I have no Lionel cars in my collection. I know some S scale operators have modified O27 Lionel cars but these have been extensively modified, not just a truck and coupler swap. All the Scout Cars are too wide to be correct on an S scale layout. If you want other styles of boxcars AM makes them as does SSA. Check out the DesPlaines Hobbies website.

3341 - 3360 of 3375 Posts