Model Train Forum banner

321 - 340 of 2476 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Tom, top of wall is wide enough for 2 tracks. So all that would need to be in yard would be
a loop at each end. Sure would put one track close to the edge. With only one track set at back of the wall, I probably would not worry about a locomotive falling to its death.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Hmmm, in order to protect the valuable trains and not mark, drill or deface the wall I would get some plexiglass, cut sheets of it a bit wider than the top of the wall then glue a short vertical piece along one edge. Set the assembly on top of the wall, put the track on the plexiglass and all will be well. No marks or stains on the top of the wall, no trains falling to the ground. I am sure the last thing you need is my help to spend your money.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
For todays post I have an item I found on a vendor’s table. It is in new condition, never used. This is the only one of these I have ever seen. It makes me wonder what else is out there to be found.

A99CC298-DCEF-424F-B5DE-18BBB2020070.jpg

54E29813-886D-4738-A014-A8F1BA6A98D8.jpg

62716A06-122B-43AB-A639-5A25E5D0364E.jpg

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Would not work with the rubber roadbed. I image they made these for O and Standard gauge but I never looked for one. Most of these probably got lost or were thrown away over the years.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
What a cool tool. I have never seen one. Not really an AF product but it does have an AF model number. Bet it keeps you from smashing the ties also.

·
Registered
830 Posts
flyernut

flyernut you are making me cry. I had '69 Nova SS, 396, 375 hp, 4 speed 4:11 gear. It was the RPO L78 version. Mine was a lighter blue but otherwise just like yours. Bench seats, rubber floor mats, and only power steering. No other options. Sorry I ever sold it. All told I have had 6 version of the ChevyII/Nova cars.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
flyernut you are making me cry. I had '69 Nova SS, 396, 375 hp, 4 speed 4:11 gear. It was the RPO L78 version. Mine was a lighter blue but otherwise just like yours. Bench seats, rubber floor mats, and only power steering. No other options. Sorry I ever sold it. All told I have had 6 version of the ChevyII/Nova cars.
I've had around 6-8 Nova's, since 1972. This one pictured was actually a light blue, with a blue bench seat and interior, probably the same light blue as yours.The wife wanted a darker blue so we painted it "black sapphire metallic", a stock GM color used on early 90's Buicks, Caddy's, and Chevy's..

·
Registered
272 Posts
From that angle it looks two feet long! Nice. It looks exceptionally clean.

I think I would enjoy one of those. Any advice what to look for?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Shaker, I look for 2 things. Original paint that I like and that it runs good. When a seller
says untested, you can bet your last dollar it does not run. I have bought untested locomotives but I have to get them cheap.

I paid the load for this one. $149.00 plus shipping. But I was not disappointed when I unpacked it and
it runs and smokes like a champ. Oh, and I study the pictures to make sure it is complete. I have seen parts missing in pics and seller never mentioned the missing parts.

I like the angle of the shot also.

I almost bought one engine and then noticed the trailing wheels were missing. Seller never mentioned that. Be careful. Just for the trailing wheels can cost $30.00.

If seller says complete, original paint, runs great, reverse unit works properly, smokes good, then it probably does. Its what they don't say that I watch for.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Buddy of mine had a beautiful yellow 1970 4-speed with black vinyl top. Bought it used off a Chevy lot. Everything said stock 307 about it, except it had what appeared to be a factory 4 barrel and some plain Jane slotted wheels. Damn thing broke into the 13's! No one, including the shop that eventually built up the motor, could ever figure out what was the deal with that car. If the drive train had been modified it was with 100% factory parts. And I do not think there was any record of 307 cars with 4 barrels. Even had a stock air cleaner.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Shaker, I look for 2 things. Original paint that I like and that it runs good. When a seller
says untested, you can bet your last dollar it does not run. I have bought untested locomotives but I have to get them cheap.

I paid the load for this one. $149.00 plus shipping. But I was not disappointed when I unpacked it and
it runs and smokes like a champ. Oh, and I study the pictures to make sure it is complete. I have seen parts missing in pics and seller never mentioned the missing parts.

I like the angle of the shot also.
Cool on the info. I agree that not running is a small issue, but poor appearance or missing parts is a biggie. What about the "large motor" thing? How big an issue is that?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
I only have one big motor. Its in my 336 Northern. Nothing wrong with smaller motor.
I have 2 northerns, one big motor, one smaller motor. They both run good but maybe its in my head but I would rather have the large motor. A Hudson with large motor figure 200 or more for a nice one. I keep
looking for a large motor in anything that seller does not know and no one else sees it. LOL, has not happened yet.

321 - 340 of 2476 Posts