Model Train Forum banner
3381 - 3400 of 3428 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Taking some guesses thinking prewar maybe Marx flyer blue picture up looked with magnificent glass see letter s end letter l the guys on forum would know more. Good luck went on Google couldn't find anything.
Al

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Nice picture. The box label says Steel Train. It appears to be a Marx wind up set. Someone has placed the box car between the engine and tender. It looks like you are turning the wind up key. I had a similar Marx wind up set from about 1954. My engine and tender were black, looks like the same caboose. That set is larger with the figure 8 track. Mine was an oval.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I happen to have a compendium of all the Sears Wish Book train pages from 1950 through 1969. Since Sears sold Marx trains maybe Howard's train above was included. Unfortunately it is not, but that only means it was not advertised in the Wish Book.
There were two items of interest, to me at least. First is a wind up train similar to the one I had. Mine had less track and the engine was only one speed. Below is a picture of it in the 1954 Wish Book. My train was purchased at the Pittsburgh Mercantile Company which most always undercut stores like Sears. It was the Jones and Laughlin Steel Company "company store." The items sold in it usually had fewer features.
The second picture shows a plastic Marx box car in the 1954 catalog that was made using the molds that were much later (in 2003) used to make the K-Line S gauge cars.

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle Newspaper
Train Vehicle Motor vehicle Rolling stock Mode of transport

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,393 · (Edited)
Last week I showed a black AF trestle bridge I bought. I bought a red girder bridge that is not
here yet. I think it may be made by Marx. Tom, any red bridges in those catalogs you have.
Each end of bridge has "Wabash" on it. I will show when it gets here. I also have a couple cars coming. One, a NH 984.
I have never seen the red bridge before.

Update - The red bridge is a trestle bridge not a girder bridge. I do also have a girder bridge coming.
It was bought with the red bridge. Great price on both.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
The Marx bridge I have and others I have seen are gray. When you get yours I will compare it to those in the wish book. I will need to read the descriptions since most of the pages are black and white.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I wonder why the seller has the blue trays for the 716 coal dump car upside down. He must not know what they are.
Here is your new red bridge, a Marx 1320 Wabash. A spot light was available to attach to the top center of the bridge. The 1320 was also made in silver.
My silver Marx bridge is a different design with two additional vertical members on each side of the bridge, I believe it is a 1350.

Rectangle Triangle Font Wood Truss bridge

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Today is Sunday, the day before Halloween. Here in SoCal it is sunny and 70 near the beach. Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to drop and 1/4" of rain is predicted. While it is unreasonably early, I decided to take advantage of the great weather to put up some new Christmas lights. We have 120' of glass fence enclosing the back yard so I thought it would be nice to put some clear LED lights on it. There are clips made specifically for this application but there is a lot of custom cutting, splicing, soldering and taping to create the precise fit light strings. The new commercial grade LED Christmas lights are far better than ones I bought seven years ago. I have a 1,000' spool of commercial grade C9 light sockets on 15" centers so it took 99 lights to cover the 120". Picture below.
I am still debating whether or not to put up a Christmas layout this year. I really hate it when I debate with myself and loose! Tomorrow I will be back to the trains, with all the shipping delays I doubt if the new cars I ordered from Lionel will get here this year.

Sky Plant Plant community Building Urban design

3381 - 3400 of 3428 Posts