Model Train Forum banner
3561 - 3580 of 3620 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I ran two trains this AM, a long freight pulled by a PRR ES44Ac and a short freight pulled by #765 NPR Berkshire. The Berkshire had been dropping sound and not working well so I put it away for a month. Got it back out and the last two days it has run perfectly so I am declaring it self repaired!
I had sent five engines to Goldinhands for repair. Four were steam engines with failed fan driven smoke units. One was a UP E8 with a non working headlight. Ed upgraded the lighting to include a working headlight in the lower housing.
Here is the Santa Fe Y3 with its new smoke unit sitting under the coaling tower. Behind it is an American Models Lackawanna Northern.

Train Wheel Motor vehicle Rolling stock Vehicle

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Thankyou I like those kind I'd buy more but really no room I have more americanflyer lamps price were good but still not much room. Iam trying to find room so I can build a small layout for my prewar flyer lionel and marx. Really love trains number one will always be flyer.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My apologies to u Amflyer when u mentioned the 590 I thought it was beacon search light. I still look out for the 590 that's I have had in the beginning when my godfather gave the set to me when I was 12 as you can see I have added.lol
Al

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I like those tan and green switch towers too. I found a green one at the train show I bought my 322 AC at.........until I picked it up and turned it around. Part of the back side was completely broken out and wasn't there to even try and fix. The seller had 50.00 on it. I offered 10.00 and he laughed. He said a buyer could just put it in a position on their layout so the back wouldn't be seen. What a guy. He told me all this with a straight face.

Kenny

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I am going to divert from trains for a moment in order to post some pictures of our road reconstructon. The roads in our housing plan are 34 years old and for a number of well considered reasons the decision was made to remove and replace them rather than attempt another resurfacing. The area in front of our house is in progress now. The process is to cold plane all the asphalt from the road, leaving just the subsurface roadbed. The cold planer is removing 6", leaving behind between 0" and 1" of pavement because the sub roadbed was not even. A front loader just scrapes up the remaining asphalt in a quick pass. Ten haulers are in rotation to receive the flow of asphalt from the planer's conveyor and take it to a recycle plant. The cold planed asphalt is reused to make new pavement.
Five passes are needed to remove the entire width of the street, that should be done by noon tomorrow. Prior to repaving, the roadbed is inspected and cores taken to assure it conforms to current standards. Some problems, inadequately compacted soils and subsidence, were discovered in the prior phase up the hill from us that required repairs.
Unfortunately my new Legacy Pacific was not delivered yesterday, so because of the road closure the earliest I can get it is now Saturday. I will post pictures of the new engine when it arrives.
Here are two pictures of the work in progress.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Infrastructure Road surface
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Sky

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
For any of you interested, the third pass is just beginning. Here are some better pictures of the cold planer in action. It moves at about 2’/second, takes less than 3 minutes to completely fill one hauler. The planer has a pair of tank style treads front and rear with the actual planer (spinning cutting wheel) in the center.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire
Vehicle Rolling stock Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Vehicle

3561 - 3580 of 3620 Posts